Entertainment’s romantic movie picks

Because this is ‘date night,’ what’s your favorite romantic movie?

Elisse Miller, Staff Writer

My favorite romance movie sends the heart flirty texts, takes it out for a nice dinner, then curb stomps it mercilessly, but for some reason the heart keeps calling back, even after all the abuse. I’m talking about “Blue Valentine.” This movie follows the courtship of Dean (Ryan Gosling) and Cindy (Michelle Williams). The movie shows flashbacks of their beautiful beginnings and then jumps to scenes of their currently crumbling marriage. The bipolar mood of the film creates an accurate depiction of a real relationship, which many can relate to. And honestly, who doesn’t want to watch Williams and Gosling make out?

Andrew Scoggins, Contributor

My favorite date movie is “A Knight’s Tale.” It has Heath Ledger, one of the best contemporary actors prior to his death, Alan Tudyk of “Firefly” fame (nerdgasm), and Shannyn Sossamon, one of the most gorgeous women in cinema. The movie has armored knights smashing each other off horses to a soundtrack consisting of Queen, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy and David Bowie, with enough action to keep the men entertained and enough romance from the cheesy poetry scene to make the ladies swoon. Everybody wins, except Heath Ledger.

David Dixon, Senior Staff Writer

“Casablanca” is easily the most romantic movie of all time. Bits of dialogue including “We’ll always have Paris” and “Here’s looking at you kid” have been quoted many times since the 1940s and the chemistry between star- crossed lovers Rick (Humphrey Bogart) and Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman) is perfect.

Eventually, Ilsa is forced to make a noble sacrifice by telling Rick she must leave Casablanca with her husband. However, this righteous gesture paves the way for the ultimate bromance between Rick and Louis (Claude Rains), captain of the local police. While one relationship ends, another begins. “I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

Isabella Place, Staff Writer

If romance (combined with a bit of action and lots of guns) is what you’re in the mood to see, then no further than “The Tourist.” Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie will have you wondering “are you serious?” at their awkward on-screen chemistry against the backdrop of the romantic Venice, Italy. If their fake accents turn you off by the middle of the movie, turn to your significant other and start making out heavily in your best imitation of Jolie’s puckered lips, or give one of those electronic cigarettes a try and attempt to look ravenous like Depp in a white tuxedo. Now that will make the movie a lot more fun to watch and have you thinking the critics who gave this film a bad review were just single.

Cody Franklin, Head of Aztec Gaming

Best romantic movie? “The Expendables.” Sylvester Stallone goes through hell for a girl he just met. How many guys would blow up a small Mexican island for love at first sight? If that’s not love, I don’t know what is.

Tori Haynes, Staff Writer

“He’s Just Not That Into You” is a romantic comedy made after the book, which was inspired by a popular episode of “Sex and the City.” It educates women on how to tell when a guy simply doesn’t like them enough, so they can stop wasting time making excuses for a dead-end relationship. It is a movie every girl should watch at least once every six months to reinforce the basic dating do’s and don’ts. One neat aspect of the movie is how several major characters experience different relationship dilemmas, making it easy for viewers to relate to at least one of the situations. If that isn’t enough, the cast is packed with eye-candy for both men and women.

Entertainment’s romantic movie picks