Aztecs-Cowgirls preview

Forwards

Aztecs: San Diego State has received unbelievable production from senior Megan Jurado, who has scored 12 goals this season with seven assists. Aiding Jurado is sophomore Haley Locker who has scored three goals and has assisted on four scores. Look for Jurado to expose Wyoming’s backline and put at least one goal in the back of the net.

Cowgirls: Junior Olivia Mohtadi leads the Cowgirls’ forwards in scoring with four goals on the season and one assist. Sophomore Sara Paul has only scored two goals, but has 10 assists on the season. Look for Paul to set up Mohtadi. Edge: Aztecs

Midfielders

Aztecs: Senior Sarah Halverson has three goals and three assists this season, including the game-winning goal in SDSU’s 1-0 victory against Boise State on Oct. 5. Redshirt senior Tiffany Hurst has scored three goals and has tallied one assist this season, assisting Halverson in the aforementioned game-winning goal. Hurst, junior Carli Johnson and sophomore Kelsey Booth have done a good job controlling the middle of the field this season. Cowgirls: Junior Liz O’Reilly has scored three goals this season with five accompanying assists. The other three midfielders have only scored three goals and senior Jenny Johnson has only three shots in 15 games, none of which have been on goal.

Edge: Aztecs Defenders

Aztecs: The Aztecs’ defense has been impressive throughout the first 16 games of the season, giving up only 10 goals for an average of .625 goals per game. SDSU has yet to give up more than two goals in a game. 2010 Mountain West Freshman of the Year Haley Palmer leads this group.

Cowgirls: Throughout the course of 15 games, the Cowgirls’ defense has allowed 24 goals, more than twice as many as the Aztecs in one less game.

Edge: Aztecs Goalkeepers

Aztecs: Redshirt sophomore Rachel Boaz has been remarkable in the net this year. She has seen all but 38 minutes on the field and has only allowed nine goals for an .845 save percentage. Boaz has also totaled eight shutouts this season. Cowgirls: The goalkeeping has been split evenly between senior Courtney Merkle and sophomore Carmen McDermott. Neither has been very impressive with McDermott recording 18 saves and allowing 13 goals.

Edge: Aztecs

Intangibles

Aztecs: The Aztecs are riding a seven-game winning streak, having recently beaten Fresno State 3-1. This momentum will likely carry the team through the game and inspire confidence in its play. If SDSU defeats Wyoming tomorrow and Air Force on Sunday, the team will win the Mountain West Conference regular-season championship. Cowgirls: The Cowgirls haven’t won a game since Sept. 16, so they’re most likely hungry for a victory. However, they’ll have to overcome an away crowd and the conference’s best team. It’s not an easy thing to do. Look for the Cowgirls, who have yet to win a conference game this season, to try to play the spoiler role.

Edge: Aztecs

Prediction

Aztecs 3, Cowgirls 0

Aztecs-Cowgirls preview