World beat

First Native American canonized

On Oct. 21, catholics wel- comed the first Native ameri- can saint, Kateri Tekakwitha from the Mohawk nation, showing holiness gives equal opportunity.

The canonization, celebrat- ed Sunday morning at a special Mass in St. Peter’s Square, honored seven saints.

Tekakwitha’s canonization came after a boy whose face was marked by flesh-eating bacteria. The boy prayed in Tekakwitha’s name and was healed of his infection.

Tekakwitha, who died in 1680 at the age of 24, was de- clared venerable by Pope Pius Xii in 1943, beatified by Pope John Paul ii in 1980 and can- onized by Pope Benedict XVi.

Italian scientists guilty of manslaughter

Six internationally acclaimed italian seismologists and geological experts and an ex-government official were sentenced to six years in pris- on for releasing a falsely re- assuring statement before a magnitude 6.3 earthquake hit italy in 2009.

The earthquake resulted in 309 recorded deaths and devastated the historic city of l’aquila.

In addition to paying for court costs and damages, the defendants will not be able to hold public office again.

According to BBc, scien- tists are now concerned about sharing information publicly in fear of facing lawsuits.

Clintons open park in Haiti

In an attempt to help haiti recover from the devastat- ing earthquake in 2010, U.S. Secretary of State hillary clinton and former Presi- dent Bill clinton launched an industrial park.

The haitian park in cara- col, which cost the U.S. gov- ernment $124 million, is meant to create thousands of jobs for haitians.

Sae-a Trading, a South Korean clothing manufac- turer, estimates the park will generate 20,000 jobs in the next six years. approxi- mately 5,000 home units will be built in the surrounding area for workers.

World beat