SDSU is bowl-eligible for third straight season

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

The San Diego State football team defeated the University of Nevada, Las Vegas 24-13 to become bowl- eligible for the third consecutive season. The Aztecs moved to 6-3 overall and 4-1 in conference play.

Turning point

With SDSU leading 7-6 early in the second quarter, sophomore quarterback Adam Dingwell led the Aztec offense on a 14-play, 86-yard drive, capped by a one- yard touchdown by senior running back Walter Kazee. To score the touchdown, Kazee did his best LaDainian Tomlinson impression, leaping over the pile of linemen. The score gave the Aztecs an eight-point lead and the momentum to win the game.

It was over when…

Facing third down and two yards to go on their own 28-yard line, Rebels junior running back Tim Cornett, who finished the game with 127 yards rushing and one touchdown, was stopped for no gain by junior linebacker Nick Tenhaeff. As a result, UNLV punted and SDSU marched down the field to grab a 24- 13 lead thanks to a 28-yard field goal by senior kicker Chance Marden.

Play of the game

In the third quarter, Dingwell fumbled a snap from senior center Alec Johnson, quickly picked up the ball, calmly scanned the field and connected with junior wide receiver Colin Lockett for a 27-yard touchdown. The touchdown was Dingwell’s second of the night and gave the Aztecs a 21-6 lead.

Statistic of the game

For the first time since Nov. 6, 2010 against Colorado State, the Aztecs won a game in which they had a negative-three turnover margin.

Quotebook

“Sometimes around here, I don’t know why it is, maybe because this team hasn’t been bowl eligible this fast in a long time. We’ve already won six games. It doesn’t matter how you win, folks. It doesn’t matter how you win. Ask everybody that’s lost today if it matters. All those people that lost by three. Ask them if it matters. It doesn’t matter how you win. You win. You ought to be happy you won,” SDSU head coach Rocky Long said.

“It’s really exciting. When we first came in here, we weren’t an established team yet. But now I feel like we’re an established team; going to three bowl games really proves that,” junior tight end Gavin Escobarsaid.

“I had a little adversity—two fumbles from me. Not too well, but I appreciate my linemen staying calm and working with me. We came out with the win, and that’s what’s important,” sophomore running back Adam Muema said “Yeah, it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed it tremendously, but I think I was more nervous throughout the week just getting prepared. It’s still football. It’s still the game I played my whole life. Once you get out there, in between the lines, you just got to go out there and execute,” sophomore quarterback Adam Dingwell said

Notebook

• SDSU received the ball first in all nine games this season.

• Sophomore linebacker Andrew Feaster blocked a punt, SDSU’s first since junior defensive back Eric Pinkins blocked one against UNLV on Nov. 26, 2011.

• The Aztecs were 2-for-2 on fourth down conversions against the Rebels, making them 9-for-14 (64.3 percent) on the season. Last year, SDSU was 9-for-23 (39.1 percent) on the season.

• SDSU finished with multiple 100-yard rushers for the second time this season and 16th time in school history. Muema finished with 143 yards, while Kazee rushed for 105 yards.

• Dingwell earned his first career start at quarterback. He finished 13-for-26 with 231 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

• The Aztecs earned their sixth victory of the season, the earliest date for a sixth victory since 1993.