Aztecs defeat Lobos for MW title

Beautiful weather and the sun-soaked San Diego State Sports Deck helped set the stage for yesterday’s Mountain West Conference women’s soccer championship game against the University of New Mexico. In what was one of the most physical games of the year, the lady Aztecs were able to route the Lobos 2-0 and claim the tournament title for the first time since the 2009-10 season.

A focused Aztec team pushed the tempo early in the game and was able to force play into New Mexico’s half of the field. Sophomore forward Kelsey Booth was in the mix early and had a near miss on a header in the ninth minute. In the 23rd minute she was able to redeem her miss and gave the Aztecs the lead when a corner kick by freshman midfielder Victoria Barba was jumbled around in the box long enough for Booth to run over and head it in. Senior midfielder Carli Johnson was credited with the assist.

In the second half the Lobos put together a strong offensive attack led by senior midfielder Rachel Montoya. However, the aggressive play left the Lobos vulnerable and in the 73rd minute the Aztecs capitalized. After a blocked shot by senior forward Megan Jurado, senior forward Sarah Halverson was quick to get the rebound and fired it into the corner of the net for her fifth goal of the year. Jurado was credited with the assist.

The Lobos continued to push the pace, but their efforts went unrewarded and the game finished 2-0, giving the Aztecs the tournament championship.

SDSU outshot New Mexico 7- 3 in the first period and 9-3 in the second. Defensively, redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Boaz had two saves.

This game gives the Aztecs a record of 19-1-1 in the season and drops the Lobos to 11-7- 2 overall. San Diego State will look to improve its stellar record when heading to nationals later this month.

Aztecs defeat Lobos for MW title