Three-term candidate Susan Davis reelected

Congresswoman Susan Davis, who has served in the U.S. House of Representatives since 2001, will once again represent California’s 53rd Congressional District.

Davis’ campaign platform revolved primarily around education, reviving the economy, environmental protection, health care, women’s rights, consumer protection and veteran’s issues. In addition, Davis says while small businesses are vital for the stimulation of the economy, low-income households struggling to pay the bills will not be overlooked.

Davis, who is a military wife, openly advocates San Diego’s strong military presence and actively pioneered the fight against the controversial “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, according to her official website.

“I’m going to continue to work very hard for our military families and our veterans through this transition period,” Davis said.

In light of President Barack Obama’s reelection, Davis remains positive about the future the next four years hold.

“I’m hopeful that it means people come back to work,” Davis said.

Regarding the faltering state of edu- cation in California, Davis emphasized the significance of preserving high-quality educators.

“Well, the reality is that, you know, we were … trying to make sure that a lot of teachers kept their jobs and it may be that we need to take another look at that,” Davis said. “We look at just the public sector jobs and we wouldn’t have had the kind of unem- ployment that we did—and those were positions that people need, you know. We need to have wonderful teachers teaching our children and to have them out of work doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for anybody.”