SDSU versus AFA

Peter Kluch, Assistant Photo Editor

The San Diego State football team is tied with Fresno State atop the Mountain West Conference standings and will play its final home game of the regular season against Air Force at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday at Aztec Warrior Stadium.

Offense

Aztecs: After a convincing road win against Boise State last Saturday, the Aztec offense looks strong. Running backs Adam Muema and Walter Kazee had dominating performances again, with Muema leading the two, rushing for 127 yards and a touchdown. Sophomore quarterback Adam Dingwell went 12-of-18 for 105 yards and provided an air attack to balance the running game. The offense is progressing every week, so look for another strong performance from the unit.

Falcons: The Air Force offense is inconsistent at times, but boasts the third best running offense in the nation, averaging 337 yards per game according to ESPN, proving the Falcons running game is one to be reckoned with.

Edge: Aztecs

Defense

Aztecs: Defensively, the Aztecs stuffed nationally recognized Boise State running back D.J. Harper last weekend, allowing him to only gain 81 yards on the ground. A blocked punt by the Aztecs turned the tide in the third quarter against the Broncos, just another detail of the strong defensive performance by the Aztecs. The defense has stopped opponents’ rushing attacks recently, which fares well in this week’s matchup against Air Force. Falcons: The Falcons give up an average of 29 points per game this season, which does not match up well against the confident SDSU offense. However, the Falcons defense has fared fairly well against run-heavy teams, such as Michigan and Nevada. If this squad can limit Muema and Kazee’s yards, there might be a solid chance for victory.

Prediction: Aztecs Coaching

Aztecs: Rocky Long delivered his team to one of the biggest wins in school history last Saturday, leading the Aztecs to their first win on the road against a nationally ranked opponent. He has his team firing on all cylinders during SDSU’s current five game-winning streak, while his eyes are on a MWC championship. In creating a dominant running game balanced with a consistent passing attack, Long has developed a team that is playing as well as anyone in the conference.

Falcons: Head coach Troy Calhoun, the former offensive coordinator for the Houston Texans, has established a fine career at the Air Force Academy. He has developed his team into the third best running offense in the country, but lacks the experience of playing in big-game situations.

He has his team right in the mix for a conference championship, leading them to a 4-1 conference record.

Edge: Aztecs

Prediction:

Aztecs 30, Falcons 17

SDSU versus AFA