Beat Box 11/29

Volleyball to play St. Mary’s in first round of NCAA Tournament

After winning a share of the 2012 Mountain West championship along with Colorado State University, the San Diego State  volleyball team received an at-large bid into the NCAA Tournament and is scheduled to play St. Mary’s at 5 p.m. today at the Galen Center on the campus of the University of Southern California. The winner will face either USC or Fairfield University in the second round on Friday.

The Aztecs are 23-7 overall and finished 13-3 in conference play. Because CSU won the tiebreaker against SDSU, the Rams were given the MW’s automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. This is SDSU’s first appearance in the tournament since 2001 and 14th all-time. St. Mary’s owns a 17-10 overall record and had a 12-4 record in the West Coast Conference.

Recently, senior middle blocker Andrea Hannasch, junior outside hitter Raegan Shelton and junior setter Johnna Fouch were named to the all-conference team. Fouch was also named the MW Setter of the Year, while sophomore outside hitter Michelle Waber was honored as the MW Newcomer of the Year after transferring from the University of Hawai’i. SDSU volleyball head coach Deitre Collins-Parker was voted MW Coach of the Year.

Muema earns player of the week honors

Sophomore running back Adam Muema was named Mountain West Co-Offensive Player of the Week and  College Football Performance Awards Running Back Performer of the Week.

Against the University of Wyoming, Muema rushed for a career-high 255 yards and four touchdowns, as the Aztecs defeated the Cowboys 42-28 to win their seventh consecutive game and a share of the MW title, its first since 1998.

The 255 yards are the most since Larry Ned’s 285 in 2001.

Muema now has 1,355 rushing yards and 16 rushing touchdowns on 211 carries. His 112.92 rushing yards per game rank 17th in the country.

Clements named MW Player of the Week

Senior guard Courtney Clements was named the Mountain West Women’s Basketball Player of the Week for her performances again Auburn University and the University of Colorado at Boulder as part of the 26th annual Omni Hotels Classic in Boulder, Colo.

Against the Tigers, Clements scored a season-best 26 points, including six 3-pointers, to go along with five rebounds, three steals and an assist in the Aztecs’ 78-57 victory. In the tournament championship against the Buffaloes, Clements put in 19 points in the 67-53 loss. This is Clements’ fourth weekly honor of her career.

Beat Box 11/29