Parking citations rise as semester closes

In the final days of the fall semester at San Diego State, the Department of Public Safety has seen a rash of parking citations and complaints in the parking structures on campus.

Between Nov. 30 and Dec. 3, more than 40 parking citations and complaints were distributed to SDSU students. The majority of the citations were issued in staff and faculty-designated parking structures 4 and 5.

According to the SDSU Police Department website, state law requires that students obtain a parking permit to park on campus at all times. Parking permits are available from Parking Services or Student Account Services throughout the year. They may also be purchased at the SDSU Bookstore at the beginning of each semester.

Student day-use permits cost $135 per semester, and overnight permits are $213.

Students have the option of appealing a citation within 21 days of issuance by completing the “Administrative Review” form and submitting it to the Parking Business Office. A determination is sent back within two to four weeks. If a student still disagrees with the determination, there are further steps that may be taken, leading up to the Superior Court.

SDSUPD is careful to advise students: “The burden of proof is required by the appellant, not the issuing officer.” The department also recommends attaching proof or evidence of a permit to the appeal if the citation was issued mistakenly. Citations issued because a driver lacked necessary knowledge, missed relevant information or was misinformed by a source other than the Parking Business Office will not qualify for reduction or dismissal.