Starbucks holiday menu brings cheer

Jenna Mackey, Staff Photographer
Jenna Mackey, Staff Photographer

The Starbucks in East Commons is bursting with holiday spirit reminiscent of a Black Friday doorbuster with endless lines of groggy and thirsty customers, each waiting to satisfy their caffeine cravings to fuel late-night cram sessions. The baristas are bustling like elves the day before Christmas Eve. I spot the embellished chalkboard menu with a graphic display of seasonal drinks that sound more like bakery treats.

How can I choose just one drink and deny my taste buds the satisfaction of the others? My mind becomes a whirlwind of caramel, gingerbread and pumpkin spice. My usual order—a hot chocolate—seems so bland compared to these decadent temptations. I decide to embark on a holiday quest: Try as many different seasonal items my wallet and taste buds can handle.

My first selection is the popular and pricey caramel brulee latte. I peek under the lid and become disappointed by the mediocrity (like when a blind date fails to measure up to his or her profile picture). However, the decadent and buttery smell invites my lips to the rim of the red paper cup. When the caramel topping embedded in the whipped cream meets my tongue, the sweet treat produces an equally sweet smile across my face. While the beverage bears a suspicious resemblance to the caramel macchiato, the caramel speckles and extra creaminess give the top half of the drink a distinguishable richness. Unfortunately, some bitterness crept into the last ounces of the beverage, like a disappointing prize at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box.

With cozy tables and dimmed lighting the West Commons location projects a more studious and sophisticated atmosphere—if you ignore the fact that it’s right next to Taco Bell. I bought a gingerbread latte and a matching gingerbread loaf, after a rather mundane day of classes. I relish my venture into the tasty realm of Gingerbread Land and the not-so-subtle ginger spice inside the latte shocks my palate. Waves of cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla emerge as I stir, but the gingerbread loaf proves itself the treasure. The brown morsel, crowned with a creamy frosting, is peppered with tiny flakes of candied orange peel. I fail to ration the frosting and the icing disappears too quickly, but the loaf stands on its own. My ginger adrenaline is running high, mocking me with the jingle, “You can’t catch me, I’m the Gingerbread Man!”

Girls bundled in peacoats and leather boots huddle inside the College Square Starbucks to escape the infamous drizzle of Southern California. Several of them order the pumpkin spice latte and I follow their lead. Starbucks manages to bottle and brew the essence of fall into a coffee cup. This seasonal drink seems to appeal to an acquired taste. The initial sip does not enthrall me, but by mid-cup, I understand how the cinnamon, nutmeg and clove have gained such notoriety. The drink was like a first kiss—unsure and awkward at first, but still exciting and new. The drink tastes more than sufficient, but the aroma truly captures the senses. Starbucks should really make candles.

My final and favorite subject is the cranberry bliss bar. Sweet and tart duel a delicious battle on my taste buds, both unable to overpower the other. The cream cheese frosting skims the surface of the blonde cake in a crisscrossed drizzle. This pastry is my most unexpected delight. An involuntary “mmmm” slips from my lips and some hungry onlookers cast jealous glances my way. Luckily, the bar’s popularity produces countless copy-cat recipes on the Internet, so die-hards can keep the bliss alive year-round.

I cannot shake my disdain toward peppermint or eggnog. Therefore, I will have to bestow that faction of the quest to a noble successor. This experience introduced me to a whole new world of flavors. However, now my journey is finished and I once again find myself leaving Starbucks with a hot chocolate to warm my hands. Some things just never change.

Starbucks holiday menu brings cheer