SDSU staying in MW

It’s official.

San Diego State will be rejoining the Mountain West Conference in all sports next year.

SDSU was reinstated after the Mountain West’s board of directors voted to allow the Aztecs to return to the MWC this fall. SDSU was scheduled to join the Big East in football and the Big West in all sports on July 1. The decision comes after Boise State University decided not to join the Big East as a football-only member on Dec. 31.

“With today’s announcement, SDSU’s membership continues uninterrupted and helps the Mountain West maintain a solid foundation going forward,” MWC commissioner Craig Thompson said in a statement.

SDSU must pay the Big West Conference a $1.5 million exit fee, but will not have to pay the Big East Conference an exit fee because of a clause in SDSU’s contract that states SDSU may leave if there is no other Big East team located west of the Rocky Mountains.

“We have the deepest respect for our colleagues in the Mountain West, Big East and Big West conferences with whom we have worked collaboratively during the period of conference realignment,” SDSU President Elliot Hirshman and SDSU Director of Athletics Jim Sterk said in a joint statement. “We are optimistic about the future of San Diego State University’s athletic programs and the prospect of building on our university’s rich tradition of intercollegiate athletics.”

With SDSU and Boise State returning, the MWC will have 12 football members this fall, along with the additions of Utah State and San Jose State.

SDSU staying in MW