Aztecs look to rebound against the Wolf Pack

Backcourt

Aztecs: It’s no question the Aztecs have struggled in the past two games, including two go-to guards Chase Tapley and Jamaal Franklin. Franklin, who averages 20.8 points per game, had 13 in the Aztec loss to Wyoming on Saturday. Tapley has exhibited less-than-average numbers in the past two games also, but still is second on the team in scoring 12 points per game. Franklin and Tapley should expect to put up big numbers against the Wolf Pack.

Wolf Pack: The Wolf Pack backcourt is led by the dynamic duo of junior Deonte Burton and senior Malik Story, who are the top two scorers on the team, respectively. Burton averages 16.8 points and 2.8 assists per game, which are both team-highs. Story is second on the team in scoring  15.8 points per game. Even still, Franklin and Tapley should prove to be the more dynamic of the two duos.

Edge: Aztecs

Frontcourt

Aztecs: The frontcourt for the Aztecs has been questionable for most of the season and especially in their last two games. The team has primarily become a 3-point shooting team and seems to live or die by their guards. Senior forward DeShawn Stephens and freshman forward Winston Shepard have been productive at times and both usually play good defense down low. Stephens averages 5.8 points per game and Shepard averages nine points per game, even though most of his minutes occur at the point guard position.

Wolf Pack: The frontcourt for the Wolf Pack is far less productive than their backcourt. Junior forward Devonte Elliott is the fifth leading scorer on the team, averaging 6.4 points per game. His complement, junior forward Kevin Panzer, averages 4.8 points per game and is the seventh leading scorer on the team. The Wolf Pack relies mainly on its point guard Burton and Story to put points on the board and carry the team.

Edge: Aztecs

Coaching

Aztecs: Head coach Steve Fisher can’t be pleased with the recent performances of his team. Two losses in a row is rare, but three losses in a row is unheard of, so Fisher will have his team ready for the matchup on the road.

Wolf Pack: Head coach David Carter returns to Nevada one year after leading the Wolf Pack to a 28-7 season, one of the best in school history. He also led Nevada to the National Invitation Tournament last season. So far this season, Carter has his team at a 10-7 record.

Edge: Aztecs

Prediction: