National Sport Beat

Ravens win the Super Bowl

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco played lights out … literally.

Flacco was 22 of 33 passing for 287 yards and three touchdowns as the Ravens defeated the San Francisco 49ers 34-31 to win Super Bowl XLVII.

Flacco quickly went to work in the first half, throwing touchdowns to wide receivers Anquan Boldin and Jacoby Jones and tight end Dennis Pitta to give the Ravens a 21-6 lead at halftime.

Baltimore contributed to its lead when Jones returned the opening kickoff of the second half 108 yards for a touchdown to extend the lead to 28-6.

With the game all but won, Baltimore looked to hold off San Francisco to claim its first Super Bowl since 2000 and only the second title in franchise history.

But then most of the lights and the scoreboard in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome lost power, causing a 34-minute delay. Emerging from the delay, the 49ers looked like a new team, scoring 17 consecutive points to cut the lead to 28-23.

The 49ers eventually lessened the gap to 31-29, but failed to convert a two-point conversion to tie the game.

Flacco was named Super Bowl Most Valuable Player for his efforts, as the 49ers lost their first Super Bowl in six appearances.

Vonn tears MCL, ACL

American skier Lindsey Vonn crashed and suffered a season-ending right knee injury during a super-G run at the world alpine skiing Championships in Austria.

Vonn tore her anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments and suffered a lateral tibia plateau fracture.

The four-time World Cup overall champion was airlifted off the mountain. It is almost exactly one year before the start of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. She is expected to recover in time for the Olympics.

Indiana returns to top spot in college basketball

The Indiana Hoosiers are back where they began the season.

After spending the first five weeks of the season ranked No. 1 in The Associated Pressmen’s college basketball poll, Indiana reclaimed the top spot after defeating then No. 1 University of Michigan 81-73.

Led by All-American Cody Zeller, who scored 19 points against the Wolverines, the Hoosiers have now beaten the No. 1 team at home in back-to-back seasons for the first time in school history. With the win, Indiana extended its winning streak to five and gained sole possession of the lead in the Big Ten Conference.

Indiana received 58 of the 65 first-place votes, while current No. 2 University of Florida received the remaining seven.

Michigan fell to No. 3, followed by Duke and Kansas, who are No. 4 and 5, respectively. Gonzaga, Arizona, Miami, Syracuse and Ohio State round out the top 10.

National Sport Beat