Aztecs win four out of five in tournament

Freshman Lorena Klopp posted six RBI last weekend, Courtesy of SDSU Media Relations

The San Diego State softball team had a prosperous weekend at the Stacy Winsberg Memorial Tournament in Los Angeles, emerging with four quality wins and one loss.
“The first weekend out is always an opportunity to get out there and just get our feet wet,” assistant head coach Stacey Nuveman said.

SDSU did more than get its feet wet as the Aztecs defeated every opponent they faced except for the No. 1-ranked defending national champion UCLA.

“I feel like it was a very successful weekend and we won the games we had to win,” head coach Kathy Van Wyk said. “We gave UCLA everything we had, and also gave them a pretty good scare.”

SDSU opened up its season on Friday against North Dakota State, narrowly winning 3-2 after freshman Lorena Klopp hit a home run in the seventh inning to save the Aztecs from a loss.

On Saturday, SDSU played a double-header against Utah State and Central Florida. In the morning game against Utah State, the Aztecs won 10-1 in only five innings. Klopp homered, drove in five and also earned a pitching victory. She helped SDSU secure the win by only allowing one run on three hits and two walks in four innings.

“Lorena Klopp had a really good weekend,” Wyk said. “She knew the game plan and went out there and executed it. She really made a difference.”

The team continued on to defeat Central Florida in the afternoon game. The Aztecs allowed the Knights a first inning score, but then responded with five unanswered runs en route to the 5-1 victory.

On Sunday, SDSU faced Utah State once again, this time defeating the Aggies 2-0. Special efforts from the tripod of pitchers: sophomore Kamerin May, junior Bailey Micetich and senior Samantha Beasley made a difference along with good base running from freshman Hayley Miles.

As expected, the climax of the weekend’s games occurred against UCLA.

“In the first inning in the game against UCLA, we came out aggressive with back-to-back doubles,” Van Wyk said.
Despite the Aztec’s defense, they failed to pull out the win. The No. 1 Bruins (5-0) were just too much to handle in the end.

“They made adjustments and we didn’t respond,” Van Wyk said. “We were excited to see we could play with a team (UCLA) for that amount of time. We have to use that game as a stepping stone and grow from it. Now we have our plan for other big games like this one.”

The Aztecs are now receiving votes in both the USA Today / NFCA and ESPN.com / USA Softball national polls. SDSU will play in its first home game of the season at 7 p.m. on Thursday against Sacramento State.