No. 9 SDSU gets revenge against No. 7 Michigan

Peter Kluch / Senior Staff Photographer
Peter Kluch / Senior Staff Photographer

After losing its first matchup against Michigan earlier this season, the San Diego State water polo team knew it let the game slip away.
The second time around, SDSU made the most of its opportunity.

The ninth-ranked Aztecs (8-2) took down the seventh-ranked Wolverines 14-12 on Sunday in the third place game of the UC San Diego Triton Invitational. SDSU avenged the 12-11 loss it suffered to Michigan two weeks ago.

“We wanted a second chance to play Michigan,” sophomore utility Alex Ford said. “We knew we could beat them.”

The Aztecs stormed out of the gates with four first-quarter goals, and they added on five more in the second quarter to take a 9-5 lead into half time.

It was evident to head coach Carin Crawford that this game was different than the last.

“We had good balanced scoring from our bench and got out to a big lead,” Crawford said. “We played with more confidence and determination. We knew this was our game, it was a good win for the team.”

The win against the Wolverines was the third win against a ranked opponent this weekend for the Aztecs.
On Friday, SDSU beat No. 20 Marist 14-5 as junior driver Kimmy Keach had a hat trick in the game.

On Saturday, the first day of the UCSD Triton Invitational, the Aztecs beat Sonoma State for the second time this season 20-5.

In the second game of the day, SDSU beat 11th-ranked UC Irvine 10-8. Ford starred in the game as she scored five of the team’s 10 goals.

Before the Michigan game on Sunday, the Aztecs fell to third-ranked and eventual Triton Invitational champions, UCLA, 8-7.

“We like playing ranked teams,” sophomore utility Amber Pezzolla said. “We want to move up in the rankings, we want to knock out everyone in front of us so we can move up in the top 10.”

SDSU, which finished third in the Triton Invitational, will play host to defending national champion and second-ranked USC at noon on Saturday at the Aquaplex.