Tasty Tuesday: Vintage flair at Red Fox Piano Bar

02_12_13_Features_RedFox2_PN 02_12_13_Features_RedFox1_PNSitting in the corner booth cradled by aged wood, I imagine that if this building was emptied, the walls would play back the classics they hear nightly.

San Diegans have been swooning to the sound of Eddie’s trumpet for years. Accompanied by Dave on piano, bar goers could say that the music is as much a part of Red Fox Steakhouse and Piano Bar as the furniture itself.  These are no fair-weathered musicians, folks.

“We’ve got a song for every occasion: birthday, anniversary, engagement … divorce,” Eddie humorously said to the crowd.

This underrated gem can be found at El Cajon Boulevard and Mississippi Street located in the East Wing of the Lafayette Hotel. Music accompaniment is offered seven days a week beginning at 9 p.m.

To say the Red Fox is like a time capsule back to the days of old-school sophistication and romance is an understatement. Popular 1920s actress Marion Davies had parts of an old inn shipped from Surrey, England and used it as a beach house, which today is known as the Lafayette Hotel. Structural pieces and furniture, dating all the way back to 1560, were retrieved from storage to create the Red Fox space. The restaurant’s blood-red booths and rich wood create a decadent atmosphere for customers.

But alas, it’s the 21st century and everyone wants to know about the booze situation. Those in pursuit of beer may be disappointed because there are only two on tap; Michelob Amber Bock and another easily forgettable option. Both were on the watery side. Other than that, mixed drinks were standard and went for about $5 a piece. I will say Red Fox made the best kamikaze I’ve ever had, and that alone is worth a return.

Service was friendly but lacking, considering it took 20 minutes or so to receive a bar menu. However, after it was handed to me, I was pleasantly surprised to find a variety of dishes ranging from $4 to $10, including fried scallops, jumbo shrimp, salads, bratwurst, fries and much more. This is a perfect spot for a late-night nosh.

Between the kamikaze, dim lighting and sweet jazz, I forgot about my yesterday and tomorrow.

The ideal guest to take to the Red Fox is a significant other, especially a lover. Mood allows for sweet nothings whispered during a quick dance. If your sweetie isn’t available, a night out with the gals or guys will do, as the Red Fox is quiet enough for catching up. The ambience is really what stands out about this place; however, you have to consider your reasoning for going out at night. If you’re interested in a wild night of binge drinking and clubbing, Red Fox probably isn’t for you.  But on occasion, it’s refreshing to bypass the stereotypical weekend night and sit down to actually have a conversation, all while enjoying music, and maybe getting tipsy in the meantime.

A quick note about the music: If you want to acquaint yourself with some stripped down jazz, you should definitely snag a seat at the makeshift counter in front of Eddie and Dave, or whoever might be performing on that particular night. Come with a request in mind, otherwise you might feel musically illiterate, as I did.

Acquainted or not, the music is an essential component of Red Fox. I don’t hear a lot of authentic, stripped-down jazz locally and to have it available in such a casual, affordable atmosphere is pretty neat. It’s like having a Casablanca moment available to you seven nights a week less than 15 minutes away.