SDSU looks forward to round two

Backcourt

Aztecs: The Aztecs have followed the lead play of senior Chase Tapley and junior Jamaal Franklin all season long. It seems the Aztecs either win or lose depending on how well the duo does. After a home win against the New Mexico Lobos got the Aztecs back into the top 25 rankings, SDSU hit a bump in the road at Air Force. SDSU rebounded with a close win against Boise State, which came off a last second 3-point shot by Tapley. Both players lead the team in scoring, and Franklin leads in rebounds. If the Aztecs want to make a run for the Mountain West Championship, it seems both Tapley and Franklin will have to carry them there. The Aztecs lost in Las Vegas last season 65-63.

Runnin’ Rebels: The Rebels have a productive guard in Katin Reinhardt, who averages 9.8 points and 2.7 assists per game as a point guard. As a freshman, Reinhardt has stepped into his position impeccably. Senior guard Anthony Marshall is the emotional leader of this team and was a large reason why the Rebels won at Viejas Arena last month. The two were an integral part of UNLV’s big win against No. 15 New Mexico.

Edge: Aztecs

Frontcourt

Aztecs: Senior forward DeShawn Stephens and freshman forward Skylar Spencer have been defensively solid for the Aztecs. The SDSU big men haven’t carried as much of the offensive bulk as the guards this season, but they’ve accumulated a decent amount of offensive rebounds to give their team numerous second-chance opportunities. Spencer averages 1.5 blocked shots per game. As long as these Aztecs continue their high level of play, they have a chance in every game.

Runnin’ Rebels: Freshman forward Anthony Bennett is the spark plug for the Rebels’ offense. He had 17 points and 12 rebounds in the Rebels’ victory against New Mexico. He leads the team in scoring with 18.3 points per game and is the main focal point of the team’s offense. He does it all. Another big man, Khem Birch, averages 7.7 points per game, and plays forward as well as anyone in the Mountain West. The Aztecs struggled with UNLV’s size in their last meeting.

Edge: Rebels

Coaching

Aztecs:  Head coach Steve Fisher and the Aztecs have been somewhat inconsistent this season, but are still on the right track and could salvage a Mountain West Championship with a couple of big wins down the road. He looks to lead the Aztecs to yet another NCAA Tournament berth. Fisher’s intensity will really shine through his players on the court during the next few conference games.

Runnin Rebels: Head coach Dave Rice won the national championship as a player with UNLV in 1990. He led his team to three straight NCAA tournaments and four out of the past six years. He coaches with high-level intensity.

Edge: Aztecs

Prediction

Aztecs 74, Rebels 72

SDSU looks forward to round two