Harbor House offers classy bayside dining

Nestled beneath towering buildings that command the city skyline, Seaport Village offers bayside dining in downtown San Diego. A Seaport Village mainstay since 1980, Harbor House offers fresh fish, shellfish, premium steaks and local draft beers.

I was already in a stellar mood upon arrival at the Harbor House because of the hassle-free parking lot—a true rarity in the ruthless downtown one-way streets. The restaurant’s wooden exterior and pointed shingled roof provide a rustic rendition of the classic harbor houses on the East Coast. The glamorously shabby, spacious interior invites patrons to forget the bustle of the city and converse at candlelit tables. The atmosphere evokes a nautical quaintness despite the large size of the restaurant. The restaurant has two stories, an upper level for casual dining and a formal lower level, which are both adorned with semi-enclosed, heated bay side balconies. Ceiling-high windows ensure indoor guests a panoramic view of the harbor and cityscape.

“It’s a beautiful view and the food is great,” local San Diegan Rob Shetakis said.

“The service is great,” patron Susan Vargas said. “If you want something that is quiet or more romantic … the music is not really loud so you can talk.”

Talking is great, but most customers are at Harbor House to eat. I also experienced impeccable service; the appetizers arrived within minutes, the meal almost immediately afterward and my glass was always full.

I was intrigued by classic dishes such as the Caesar salad, served with gourmet presentation. The lettuce is one continuous romaine wedge with considerable crunch. The triangular plate was dressed with tomatoes, olives, a seasoned crouton and a caramelized lemon (I didn’t even know you could caramelize lemons). It was easily the fanciest Caesar salad I’ve ever had.

As a seafood lover, I shamelessly judge any seafood restaurant by its chowder. While I did enjoy the Harbor House’s clam chowder classic New England version, I didn’t think it was spectacular enough to cost $5.95 for a cup.

The menu selection included fresh fish, seafood, salads, steaks and sandwiches. For the seafood novice, more basic dishes, such as shrimp scampi and fish and chips, are viable options. However, as an adventurous food critic, I wanted to sample something I couldn’t get at Olive Garden. The customers at the table next to me ordered the scallop and shrimp fettuccine, which looked especially savory considering how much space I reserved in my stomach for this dinner. However, I opted for seafood risotto. The entree featured sauteed shrimp, scallops, clams and mussels tossed with spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, cream and Parmesan cheese. The sauce was rich, and truly phenomenal. The fish ratio complemented the rice-like pasta base. Finally, the creamy sauce kept the authentic seafood dish from tasting overly “fishy.”  The soup was good, the salad was great, but the risotto was exquisite. I can’t wait to try it again.

I’d also like to come back once I’m 21 so I can enjoy the draft beers, mojitos, margaritas, cocktails and wines the indoor pub offers. My legal counterparts can enjoy happy hour everyday from 3 – 6 p.m. However, my age didn’t limit me from enjoying a shrimp cocktail at the oyster bar, which serves fresh oysters by the half dozen along with king crab legs and chilled shellfish.

Poor college students beware: most of the seafood dinner entrees cost more than $20 and the New York and filet mignon premium steaks are closer to $40. However, budget-savvy students can fill up on complementary sourdough bread, split a reasonably portioned meal and skip dessert (there is a Ben and Jerry’s just steps away.) Is Harbor House touristy? Yes, but for good reason. While the restaurant is slightly overpriced, it’s still worth the extra cash for a romantic date or a great place to bring out-of-town guests.

Like real estate, it’s always about location, location, location.