Aztecs face challenges in Classic

The Daily Aztec breaks down the four opponents the San Diego State softball team will face in the San Diego Classic I beginning Thursday.

Brigham Young University

The BYU Cougars are 5-10 this season and on a two-game losing streak, which boasts well for the Aztecs. The Cougars’ leading hitter, Marissa Bravo, has been on a tear this season so far, posting a .476 batting average, a .571 slugging average and nine RBIs. The Cougars have had a fairly easy schedule this season, playing two games against top 20 teams.

Long Beach State

The Long Beach State’s softball team has also experienced an average season so far. The 49ers performed well in the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic, going 3-2 with wins against Oklahoma State, University of Nevada, Las Vegas and Syracuse. Junior utility Hannah De Gaetano has strung together a .356 batting average with 11 RBIs this season to lead the 49er offense. For her efforts, De Gaetano was Big West Player of the Week last week.

Utah State

The Aggies have experienced some struggle this season. Utah State is 0-15 this season and looking to get in the win column at the San Diego Classic I. Junior infielder Kassandra Uchida has posted the best batting average for the Aggies with .316. The Aggies have experienced a good amount of trouble offensively this season, but have had even more trouble defensively, having given up more than 10 runs twice and nine runs once.

University of California, Los Angeles

The No. 10 Bruins are by far the best team the Aztecs will have to play in the upcoming week. The Bruins are led by a plethora of offensive superstars headlined by sophomore infielder Stephany LaRosa, who has put up a .419 batting average this season so far.

Aztecs face challenges in Classic