Filner enhances TJ relationship

San Diego Mayor Bob Filner and Tijuana Mayor Carlos Bustamante officially opened the San Diego Office of Binational Affairs in Tijuana. The new office is located in Via Corporativo, known as Tijuana’s first green building. Filner appointed a full-time staff member, Mario Lopez, to focus on San Diego’s relationship with Tijuana.
“We are two cities, but one region,” Filner said at the inauguration. “This office opening is not just a symbolic gesture. We are going to solidify our relationship and work together to build a great border community.”
According to U-T San Diego, Tijuana has had an office in San Diego since 2005. The new office in Tijuana will be a space for leaders of both sides to work on border issues, regional planning, environmental concerns, the reluctance of Americans to visit Tijuana and the long wait times at the border, according to Fronteras: The Changing America Desk.

The office was made available at no cost for as long as San Diego wants it, U-T San Diego reported.
During the inauguration, Filner announced his wishes to bring the Olympics to the San Diego-Tijuana region. Filner said he received a letter from the Olympics Committee regarding his interests in hosting the 2024 Summer Olympic Games.
“Let’s make it a binational Olympics,” Filner said. “It would be a first-of-its-kind event and the excitement of doing this together will mean great things for both our cities,” according to East County Magazine.
According to U-T San Diego, San Diego was among 35 U.S. cities that received letters from the Olympic Committee.
ABC 10News reported if San Diego was selected to host the games, the city would have to build an Olympic Village for 16,000 athletes. The city would also need a larger airport, a team of 200,000 workers and more sports venues.
“Who’s going to pay the difference?” San Diego Tax Fighters Chairman Richard Rider asked in an article by ABC 10News. “The tooth fairy? The state of California? I don’t think so.”

Filner enhances TJ relationship