SDSU to take on Boise State in final game of season

Backcourt

Aztecs: The Aztecs’ struggles climaxed after a 10-point loss to the University of New Mexico on Feb. 27. Junior Jamaal Franklin carried the team by scoring 16 points and sophomore JJ O’Brien pitched in with 10 points of his own, but the rest of the team failed to reach double figures. Saturday will be senior Chase Tapley’s final regular-season game as an Aztec.

Broncos: Boise State, which is 20-9 overall and 8-7 in the Mountain West Conference, closely resembles SDSU’s record, making this matchup a huge deal. Sophomore Derrick Marks, who scored 38 points against the Colorado State Rams, leads the Broncos’ backcourt. He has earned three MW co-player of the week awards and looks to be the next big prospect to come out of the MW. Marks averages 16 points a game and sophomore Anthony Drmic averages 17 points per game.

Edge: Even

Frontcourt

Aztecs: Senior forward DeShawn Stephens and freshman forward Winston Shepard have carried most of the bulk of the Aztec big men, but each averages only 6.3 points per game. Most of the rebounding, assisting and scoring comes from the Aztecs’ guard play, which causes multiple mismatches for the Aztecs against their opponents. An assertive presence down low will pose well for the Aztecs come tournament time.

Broncos: Boise has major big man junior Ryan Watkins, who averages 7.0 rebounds per game. Both teams seem pretty evenly matched down low. Redshirt senior center Kenny Buckner averages 5.0 rebounds per game and helps add to the plethora of Bronco big men.

Edge: Even

Coaching

Aztecs: Head coach Steve Fisher expected greater success from his team thus far in the season, but it can still be salvaged. After this game, the schedule favors the Aztecs to make a run at a higher position within the conference, and Fisher will have his team ready to play and clinch yet another NCAA berth.

Broncos:  Head coach Leon Rice is in his third season at Boise State. Rice started 51 freshmen since the 2010 season, proving he has succeeded with a young team. Rice currently has his team on the bubble for an NCAA berth, which would be a huge milestone in his young career.

Edge: Aztecs

Prediction

Aztecs 71, Broncos 66