Aztecs fall to the Lobos

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor
Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

For the first time since 2009, San Diego State didn’t play in the final round of the Mountain West Tournament Championship, after losing in the semifinals to the University of New Mexico 60-50

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor
Paige Nelson, Photo Editor
Paige Nelson, Photo Editor
Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

on Friday.

The Lobos proved to be too big of an obstacle for the Aztecs to overcome. The Lobos’ 7-foot redshirt sophomore post Alex Kirk and 6-foot-9 junior forward Cameron Bairstow dominated the paint and combined for 31 points and
18 rebounds.

“We were beaten today by a really, really good team that can hurt you inside and outside. They did that to us tonight,” SDSU head coach Steve Fisher said.

The Aztecs also had to handle a 24-4 Lobos run late in the first half that continued after the break. New Mexico’s junior guard Tony Snell set Lobos fans into a frenzy by hitting three 3-pointers within one minute during that stretch.  Snell led all scorers with 17 points.

Senior guard Chase Tapley, who for the first time in his career didn’t play in the MW Championship, and junior guard Xavier Thames were the only Aztecs who scored in double figures with 14
points apiece.

Tapley picked up two quick fouls midway through the first half and didn’t return to the game until the final possession of the half. The Aztecs shot only 26.7 percent from the field in the first half and made two 3-pointers on 10 attempts.  They were able to raise that percentage to 31.3 by the end of the game, but the damage was done.

The Aztecs did, however, rally back from a 21-point deficit to cut the lead to nine with 4:38 left to play, but the combination of shooting struggles and the Lobos big men locking down the lane made it very difficult for SDSU to find any kind of rhythm.

Junior guard Jamaal Franklin only scored eight points for the Aztecs, but led the team in assists with five and also snagged a game-high 12 boards.  This was just the second time this season that he has not scored in double figures.

“The good news is we’ll live to play next week and I do believe we’ll be good enough when we suit it up next week for somebody,” Fisher said.

New Mexico went on to the championship game where the Lobos beat the University of Nevada, Las Vegas 63-56.

Aztecs fall to the Lobos