Hopkins impresses

Game of runs

The San Diego State women’s basketball team began Saturday’s Reese’s Mountain West Championship game with a
7-0 lead.

The Fresno State Bulldogs countered, using runs of their own to defeat the Aztecs, ending the first half with a 12-0 run to take a 45-34 halftime score.

To begin the second half, the Bulldogs used an 11-0 run to grab a 22-point lead, from which the Aztecs were never able to recover.

SDSU made things interesting at the end of the second half, using a 35-15 run to cut the deficit to 71-69 with 1:13 left in the game.

“We’re very much a physical rep team,” SDSU head coach Beth Burns said. “We work really hard to try to do things the way we want to do them.  Even though we had a lead, it was very much not San Diego State basketball, it was more Fresno basketball, matching baskets, up and down the floor.”

Hopkins continues to impress

On Thursday, she contributed assists.

On Friday, it was points.

On Saturday, it was rebounds.

Senior guard Chelsea Hopkins continued to play outstanding basketball during the Reese’s Mountain West Women’s Basketball Championships.

Against Fresno State on Saturday, Hopkins scored 15 points, tied for a team-high, and grabbed 15 rebounds to go along with eight assists.

Hopkins and senior forward Courtney Clements were selected to the All-Tournament team.

“Well, we have a lot of talented kids that do what they do well when you put it together,” Burns said. “But Chelsea’s our Superman.”

Hopkins impresses