Eric Rivera shows promise as acting VP for student affairs

03_28_13_News_EricRivera_CourtesyEricRiveraIn light of the recent retirement announcement of San Diego State’s Vice President for Student Affairs James Kitchen, SDSU President Elliot Hirshman announced Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Eric Rivera to stand in for the position starting May 18.

“I definitely have big shoes to fill, figuratively and literally,” Rivera said.

For the past 11 years, Kitchen has been the face and spirit of Student Affairs. Kitchen was seen everywhere around campus, including sporting events and on-campus barbecues, as well as veteran resource centers.

As the acting vice president for student affairs, Rivera has the opportunity to build on the momentum Kitchen created.

“I have a vision that I think will help San Diego State go to the next level in what we do in the Division of Student Affairs,” Rivera said.

Rivera said the new position creates many more responsibilities for him and he wants to start by simply listening to each department to learn from the students and staff.

“I want to be a student, really, for the first couple of months,” Rivera said. “Because it’s a different perspective now.”

Rivera said Kitchen has been his mentor from the beginning. Kitchen has advised Rivera to be himself, and to always remember to represent not just the Division of Student Affairs, but the entire university.

“When you’re vice president you’re never off the clock,” Kitchen said.

Born and raised in the Bronx in New York City, Rivera was the first in his family to obtain a college degree. His experience working with the two largest state university systems—New York and California—has given Rivera experience working with diverse groups of students.

He said this diversity within the Division of Student Affairs has thrived during Kitchen’s time as vice president.

“When you look at the diversity in student affairs, we reflect what the campus looks like,” Rivera said. “The division didn’t look like that prior to his arrival.”

Rivera attends conferences throughout the country regarding student affairs and he said administrators, faculty and staff are continuously impressed with the diversity of SDSU’s student body. Rivera said the Office of Intercultural Affairs was created with Kitchen’s guidance and, without him, the office may not exist today.

Rivera said he wants Student Affairs to continuously improve upon diversity, graduation rates, internships and SDSU’s small research program.

“We don’t just want our students to graduate, we want them to be able to reflect on their experiences and really be able to articulate what they learned out of those experiences,” Rivera said. “That’s what really sets SDSU apart from other colleges and universities.”

The SDSU Division of Student Affairs has a $30 million budget to handle activities and services involving students well-being. From the residence halls and study abroad options to the Educational Opportunity Program and Aztec Parents Association, the Division of Student Affairs has made an impact on campus.

“I would be lying if I didn’t say I was nervous, but it’s a wonderful opportunity,” Rivera said. “For those of us in student affairs, it’s kind of what you strive for—being VP of a university for student affairs.”

The national search for a permanent vice president for student affairs will begin this summer and Rivera said he will strongly consider applying for the position.