Bauer breaks all-time RBI mark

Bauer breaks all-time RBI mark
04_08_13_Sports_Softball_LorenaBauer1_JO
Jordan Owen, Staff Photographer

San Diego State junior pitcher and utility player Lorena Bauer has been selected as The Daily Aztec’s Female Athlete of the Month for March.

Bauer is the driving force for the Aztecs, helping the team to 13 consecutive wins, while also tying for the team lead in home runs (9) and leading in batting average (.414), RBIs (36), doubles (13), hits (48), on-base percentage (.456) and slugging percentage (.793).

She is the all-time school leader in home runs with 37. She packs tremendous power and has been known to change the game with one swing. On April 3, Bauer broke SDSU’s all-time RBI record when she knocked in her 118th and 119th RBI, surpassing former Aztec Justeen Maeva, who recorded 117 RBIs in her career.

Bauer’s best game of the season was on Feb. 28 against former conference rival Brigham Young University, when she went four for four from the plate, including three doubles, two RBIs and two runs. Her three doubles tied an NCAA record according to the 2013 NCAA record book, as the Aztecs went on to defeat the Cougars 9-1 in five innings.

On March 13 against Ohio’s Miami University, Bauer went three for three from the plate with five RBIs in a 13-0 SDSU win.

Bauer has also seen time in the pitching circle this season. She started three games—including one complete game—and has a 1-0 record with a 6.30 earned run average.

She continues to improve on last season’s numbers, when she hit .301 with 13 home runs, 36 RBIs, 37 hits and 19 runs, despite missing 14 games because of a knee injury and illness.

Bauer is a local product from nearby Steele Canyon High School in Spring Valley.

The Aztecs are 25-13 overall and 5-1 in conference play, and are currently receiving votes in the latest ESPN.com/USA Softball poll.

Bauer breaks all-time RBI mark