Spring fever sparks love in SDSU students’ hearts

Thinkstock
Thinkstock

With St. Patricks Day behind us and summer just a leap away, flowers on campus are leaving college students with a hint of sweet desire in the air, telling them spring is here. Springtime at San Diego State is when people begin thinking about how they want to wrap up the year on a great note. Have you ever wondered why we see our friends and Facebook acquaintances fall in love this time of year? Well, there are three reasons why spring is a time for love: hormones are raging with spring fever, dopamine and the urge to show some skin.

Thinkstock
Thinkstock

1.Spring Fever 

Spring fever is caused by psychological emotions associated with the arrival of springtime. Wintertime is when people cling onto what they already have. People don’t want to start new relationships because they leave for winter break to attend family obligations. Just a couple of months ago, many students were wearing blankets and buying overpriced holiday gifts. People aren’t looking to spice up their lives and find new relationships until after the new year. Once the new year begins, men and women will plant their seeds and watch their relationships bloom in the spring. Freshman Michael Gonzalez discussed his springtime beau of just one month.

“In the first semester there is a huge social experience as a freshman, and then second semester you realize if you have that deep connection with someone, it is then when you decide, ‘Oh, I want to pursue something with this person,” Gonzales said.

During winter many keep what they have, but by spring they open their hearts to fresh faces, new experiences and young love.

2.Dopamine

Those who aren’t familiar with the term may think dopamine is a type of drug. However, dopamine is a natural chemical everyone releases. According to Livestrong, dopamine is a chemical released within the brain and adrenal glands that indicates feelsings of pleasure. In the context of spring, it makes people want a new relationship or fling. SDSU Director of the Office of Intercultural Relations Tanis Stark said it’s common for people to want love in the spring because of the effects of Dopamine.

“When the weather gets warmer and we see more sunlight, the melatonin in our body decreases,” Starck said. “This increases energy and vitality, which brings about mood changes that make it easier to find a relationship.”

Starck also said there are “so many more colors and new smells… that trigger the brain to increase dopamine levels.”

3. Showing more skin.

Achieving a summer body in San Diego can be a big deal for many college students, and both men and women obsess about having “summer ready bodies.” Because more people work out in the springtime, people start wearing less clothing, according to Starck. Women trade scarves for sunsceen and jeans for skirts. As for men, coats aren’t worn as much and T-shirts become the college norm. The hot weather makes us think about spring flings, summer crushes or commitments.

“I am not necessarily attracted to lack of clothing, but the nice weather gives couples more dating ideas and ways to have fun,” marketing sophomore Jesse Cordona said. “There is just more to do outside this time of year.”

Sometimes, people blame their allergies during springtime, but is love also a reaction to spring? Some may call it a coincidence—others blame it on pollen—but the fact of the matter is, some people really do fall in love more in the spring. Our bodies are excited for life changes, motivation and a fresh perspective.