Kurt Vile violates The Casbah Friday evening

04_11_13_Entertainment_KurtVile_cred_ShawnBrackbillThere aren’t many artists touring these days who make me feel like a giddy preteen girl at a Beatles concert. But when Kurt Vile and the Violators bring their loud, sedated grunge pop to The Casbah tomorrow, there’s no question where you’ll find my giddy, preteen self Friday night.

Vile just released his fifth studio album, “Wakin on a Pretty Daze,” on Monday, which comes with high expectations after his most critically and commercially successful album to date, “Smoke Ring for My Halo.”

His newest is hard to classify, with a range of music that hasn’t been contained on any one of his albums. The first two tracks open up with fast tempos and a full-bodied sound we haven’t heard much of since his earlier work, but things quickly slow down to the quiet acoustics he mastered on his last album.

One thing that’s apparent in the album’s quieter tracks is Vile’s growing comfortability with writing lyrics. “Smoke Ring” was by far his most personal effort to date, and it’s good to see he hasn’t flinched with “Pretty Daze.” While he appears to stray from social consciousness of earlier songs such as, “Society Is My Friend” or “Puppet to the Man,” the depth in some of his newest work can’t be ignored.

One standout moment is Vile’s cryptically personal “Girl Called Alex,” where he sings “I wanna  walk out into the night/ Without it being running away/ From a bad day in my brain/ for the sake of a strip I could’ve been cruising in/ in the comfort of a sports car illusion/ I think about them all the time,” which seems to tell the story of an artist’s temptation to abandon his work to live a more shallow, easy lifestyle.

Many people will probably be surprised to hear well-layered synth work on a Vile album, and even his quieter songs have far more complex instrumentation than anything he’s done before. Especially after hearing this album, I’m excited to hear what he can do with The Violators behind him on Friday night. Definitely don’t miss this chance to see a young songwriter who’s only getting better with age.