National Sports Beat

The Los Angeles Lakers’ clutch win at home on Friday against the Golden State Warriors came with a price, when Kobe Bryant ruptured his Achilles tendon during a drive to the basket. This is the first injury of this magnitude in Bryant’s career and could not have come at a worse time. One game earlier, Bryant’s 47-point performance pushed the Lakers past the Portland Trail Blazers to keep his team in play-off contention. Now, the Lakers are looking at potentially clinching the seventh seed, which would suffice for the letdown of a season they have had so far this season.

Greinke against Quentin

If anyone thinks charging the mound in baseball is controversial, Carlos Quentin of the San Diego Padres probably reinforced that thought. The Padres’ outfielder charged LA Dodgers starter Zach Greinke after being pegged high up on the shoulder in last Thursday’s game. Quentin broke Greinke’s collarbone and sidelined him for eight weeks in the process. On a positive note for San Diego, the play showed some intensity and edge the Padres seemed to lack for the past four years. Dodgers manager Don Mattingly vehemently suggested Quentin be suspended for as long as Greinke is on the disabled list, but instead, Quentin was only hammered with an eight-game suspension.

National Sports Beat