Streaking Aztecs record fourth win in a row

Paris Johnson dominated down low to notch a game-high total in points. Johnson rebounded from a poor performance against Air Force earlier in the season, Peter Kluch / Senior Staff Photographer

The San Diego State Women’s basketball team is on a roll.

SDSU (12-13, 6-7 Mountain West Conference) extended its winning streak to four with a 68-50 victory against Air Force at Viejas Arena on Saturday. With the win, the Aztecs revenged a loss to the Falcons earlier in the season and claimed fifth place in the MWC standings heading into their bye week.

“We didn’t play a very good game when we were in Colorado Springs,” head coach Beth Burns said. “And we wanted to improve on that. Especially defensively.”

And they did. The Aztecs forced 23 turnovers, which led to 23 points. Senior center Paris Johnson led the way for SDSU scoring 22 points and grabbing seven rebounds.

“I know I didn’t have a good game at Air Force so I wanted to come into this game strong,” Johnson said. “With that mentality I was just really focused on getting a team win.”

The Aztecs opened the game with a 6-0 run and never looked back. Johnson dominated down low with a significant size advantage over the Falcon defenders and scored 11 first-half points. After a 3-pointer from senior guard Coco Davis as time was winding down, SDSU went into the break leading 31-17.

With the Aztecs leading by 19 in the second half, Johnson was hit in the leg trying to get around a screen. She continued to play, but limped off the court during the next timeout.

“I got hit really hard and got a dead leg,” Johnson said. “It’s just a deep bruise and it’s hard to put any pressure on it.”
Johnson sat on the bench as the trainer looked at her leg but was subbed back in minutes later. She hit a 3-pointer and scored an and-1 in consecutive plays as SDSU ran away from Air Force to win by 18.

The Aztecs will head into their bye after the victory as they prepare for first-place BYU.

“We got three games to go and we’re on a nice little run,” Burns said.