Better than Technicolor, ‘Wizard’ captivates

The Nederlander production of the classic “The Wizard of Oz” adds a fresh theater-oriented take on the first popular colored film, Courtesy of TMI Touring Company

San Diegans flew over the rainbow last week when the Nederlander Broadway production of “The Wizard of Oz” came to the Civic Theatre.

The show was executed with precision as Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tinman, Cowardly Lion and the rest of the beloved characters brought MGM’s classic movie to the stage while staying almost completely true to the original plot.

The show begins on a farm in rural Kansas with Dorothy (Kate Bristol) attempting to save her dog Toto, who has just bitten Miss Gulch (Pat Sibley). In her desperation, Dorothy and Toto run away until they are tricked into returning by a traveling fortune teller.

However, just as Dorothy reaches the farm, a twister strikes and she is knocked unconscious by a flying window frame.
In her dreamland, Dorothy must find the Wizard of Oz (Robert John Biedermann) by following the Yellow Brick Road. Along the way she meets a brainless scarecrow (Andrew Haserlat), a heartless tinman (Beau Hutchings) and a cowardly lion (Jesse Coleman) who help her on her journey back home.

The chemistry between the actors is almost palpable, and the audience can’t help but fall in love with the good nature of the foursome. The crowd’s favorite character, however, is Toto, played by a real dog.

Sibley’s portrayal of the Wicked Witch of the West is downright captivating. Her shrill voice and malicious cackles are enough to induce chills from anyone. She steals the show in all of her scenes; when she melts, it is almost a pity.

Tim McQuillen-Wright’s set and costume design are marvelous. He takes full advantage of the wonderful colors of Oz and Munchkinland, dressing the cast and ensemble in bright, bold colors. Before the twister hits, however, McQuillen-Wright dresses the actors in bland greys and browns in order to mimic the black-and-white scenes from the original movie. The set and props are also colored similarly.

The San Diego Civic Theatre’s next show will be “Mama Mia!,” coming May 31. For more information about the theater, visit broadwaysd.com.