Volleyball team defeats Fresno and San Jose State

Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer
Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer

The San Diego State volleyball team added two wins last week to conclude its three game home stand. The Aztecs beat Fresno State in four sets (25-19, 25-18, 19-25, 25-21) last Thursday and San Jose State University in three sets (25-19, 26-24, 25-15) last Saturday.

[quote]“We came out fighting and really showed who we were,” senior setter Johnna Fouch said. “If we were down in a set or lost one set, we came back stronger to retrieve the lead again. We really fought together as a team.” [/quote]

The Aztecs took the first two sets against Fresno State convincingly, but the Bulldog’s fought back in the third. After tying the match up at 7-7 Fresno slowly pulled away from SDSU to take the set.

The match looked to be heading to a fifth set as the Aztecs found themselves down 6-13. But SDSU chipped away at the lead to finally take the set and match.

Three Aztecs met double figures in kills, led by senior outside hitter Summer Nash with 14, while senior middle blocker Emily Harris and junior outside hitter Michelle Waber had 12 and 10 respectively. Fouch had a team-high 28 assists and senior libero Courtney Vaccarello recorded 10 digs.

SDSU came out fighting dressed in pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month as it downed San Jose State.

After multiple lead changes the teams tied at 16 before the Aztecs broke away to take the first set.

The second set proved more difficult for the Aztecs. The teams were tied at 24 before a kill from Waber and a service ace by junior right side hitter Chaiymin Steel wrapped up the set. The Aztecs quickly pulled away from the Spartans in the final set, and the lead was too much as the Aztecs finished 10 points clear to take the match.

Steel led the Aztecs with 13 kills, while Fouch had 22 assists and Vaccarello contributed 15 digs.

The Aztecs continue conference play on the road against the University of New Mexico tomorrow then will fly to Colorado to meet the U.S. Air Force Academy on Saturday.

[quote]“In the past road games have been a struggle for us,” Fouch said. “But this year we have been training hard and mentally preparing for these two upcoming games.”[/quote]

Photo by Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer