Poetry: An Endless Ocean, Under the Sky

An Endless Ocean

Years from now everything will be different.

Today’s routine peaks and valleys will become yesterday’s trivial struggles. The current norms will be the things that we recall in a moment of reflection, and those revered today may be ostracized tomorrow.

The future is a limitless ocean of possibilities, and we must all wade through and find our individual course. There will be times when we must swim against the ever-changing tides, and the looming storm overhead may seem unending and the darkness will swallow up the horizon.

When we have exhausted our energy and the ocean of possibilities has evaporated from under us, we will find ourselves in a blank space surrounded by nothing but light.  We shall find our life presented before us, and then the decision is ours to make—to bask in the glow of an encompassing nothingness, or venture out to more countless oceans and weather more seemingly unbearable storms. All in an effort to find our own deserted island where serenity is reached.

Under the Sky

Under the veil of the milky peach sky… sat a sad little creature with nowhere to go, it was carrying a burden it could not deny… that weighed down its spirits but it could not let go.

Under the outer edges of softening grey… that marked where the night was ascending, it wondered what forces had brought it this way… it wasted its thoughts in defending… some notion of order, some ideal dream. A faint sense of eternity that then ripped at the seams.

Under the twilight that slowly encroached… when the light was finally receding, the question of why and what had been provoked… was constantly repeating… perpetuating cyclical thoughts over and over again, one after another sweeping through its mind, it wondered where it would go and thought of where it’s been, and pleaded with something that one day it would find…

Itself. Under the blanket of the blackest hue… that in its fullness would capture, all that march of time would eventually undo… it would encompass all and gather… the wonderers, the outcasts, the persecuted and weak… the leaders, the liars, the bold and the meek… the victims and the criminals, and those allotted no voice to speak. Even take the hopeless. Take every single one. Let each see the darkest night and feel the brightest sun.

Under the radiance that permeated the air, the little creature found itself still confused but yet… even if life was universally unfair, it had felt a sensation it would never forget. Even if this feeling was not a tangible thing, it could never be proven or seen by the eyes… perhaps a lasting comfort it would never bring, but the sense of eternity reflected in a star-filled sky… is something unexplainable. Some “fact” that’s unobtainable. Its validity forever debatable.

Under the vast and open endless expanse, the creature found itself in a different realm. It stared in awe at all it had once only glanced, and felt a sense of peace to overwhelm. And under this eternal sky in freedom it would forever roam, knowing well that all that’s lost will one day reach its home.

Poetry: An Endless Ocean, Under the Sky