Late game surge nets Cougars the victory

The San Diego State women’s basketball team’s winning streak is back at zero.

After a dominating first half, SDSU surrendered its lead to first-place BYU in the final minutes of the game and lost 56-52 in Provo, Utah. The loss ended the Aztecs’ winning streak of four games as the Cougars extended theirs to 10 games.

After BYU scored the opening points of the game, SDSU went on a 7-0 run and continued its dominating performance through much of the first half. Senior forward Jessika Bradley matched her career high with 17 points, tallying 15 in the first half.  Bradley went on a run during the middle of the first half, scoring nine of the Aztecs’ next 11 points to put her team ahead by six.

After a short visit to the bench, Bradley closed out the first half with more dominance. She sparked a 10-2 run, scoring six, as the first half was winding down. Bradley and SDSU went into the break leading the Cougars 34-24.

The Aztecs continued to control the game in the second half. A three by junior guard Sajoyia Griffin followed by a layup from senior center Paris Johnson extended SDSU’s lead to 44-28 with 16 minutes to play.

But BYU battled back, showing why it’s the first-place team in the conference. The Cougars held the Aztecs to just three points in the span of nine minutes and tied the game at 47 with 6:58 minutes to play.

Cougar senior Haley Hall hit a clutch 3-pointer in the final minutes of the game to put her squad up 54-52, and after SDSU couldn’t connect on a game-tying layup, a pair of free-throws from Hall sealed the win.

The Aztecs will try to start a new winning streak when they host Wyoming for Senior Night on Wednesday.