SDSU signs 10 more years with PepsiCo

SDSU signs 10 more years with PepsiCo

San Diego State recently renewed its partnership with PepsiCo for an additional 10 years. The deal became effective in August and was announced Monday, meaning SDSU will continue to sell PepsiCo related beverages exclusively to campus attendees.

After a 12-year-long deal with Coca-Cola, PepsiCo became SDSU’s official sponsor in 2006.

Director of Aztec Shops Paul Melchior said that for the last 7 years, PepsiCo and SDSU’s partnership has been beneficial for both parties.

“SDSU partners with companies that are committed to furthering the mission of the university and provide expertise in the provision of designated services or goods,” Vice President of Business Affairs Tom McCarron said.

McCarron added that PepsiCo has and will continue to provide annual support for academic and athletic programs, scholarship funds, the purchase of carts at concession stands and SDSU’s sustainability and green initiatives. The company will also be providing a “one-time support fund” to improve the Viejas Arena menu boards.

It is common for high schools and colleges to partake in deals with PepsiCo or Coca-Cola for “pouring rights,” according to marketing professor George Belch. Through these deals, either company can become the exclusive supplier of beverages, allowing them a profitable gain in revenue.

The extended agreement also indicates that SDSU faculty, staff and students will continue to be denied Coca-Cola related products. This includes Coca-Cola, Dannon, Dasani, Fanta, Dr. Pepper, Minute Maid, Monster, Nestea and Sprite. SDSU experienced slight complaints from staff when the university first made the switch in 2006, Melchior said.

“For faculty and staff that have strong ties to Coca-Cola, they can bring their own personal supply for their offices if they choose,” Melchior said. “For students, they can find Coca-Cola products off campus.”

Foods and nutrition senior Carla Boeck does not typically drink soda, but favors Coke because of the taste.

Although Coca-Cola lovers are at a disadvantage, many campus attendees are neutral about the decision.

“I don’t really have a preference,” liberal studies senior Brian Flores said. “If it’s there, then I will drink it.”

Melchior noted that PepsiCo and Coca-Cola were both given requests for proposals, but the final decision was based on PepsiCo’s strong financial commitment, brand recognition, and solid product lines.

Senior manager for PepsiCo Foodservice Alex Orr told newscenter PepsiCo “shared a strong partnership with SDSU for many years and looks forward to working with the university and its students on new initiatives.”

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, photo editor

SDSU signs 10 more years with PepsiCo