No. 1 Arizona shuts out Aztecs in Classic

In the last game of the Cathedral City Classic, the San Diego State softball team couldn’t score a run and lost 5-0 to the Arizona Wildcats, who are now the top-ranked team in the ESPN.com / USA Softball poll.

The first two innings of the game were reflective of the rest, as the Aztecs managed just one hit. The Wildcats had four.

SDSU’s pitching duo, junior Bailey Micetich and senior Samantha Beasley, surrendered a combined effort of five runs, eight hits and three walks throughout the duration of the game as the Wildcats improved their season record to 12-2.

Despite the loss, positive contributions were still made by the Aztecs. Sophomore Kamerin May was a consistent contributor as she reached base twice, once on a single and again after a walk. Freshman Hayley Miles and junior Ashley Rose each had a hit. Redshirt senior Lindsey Marquez led the way for the Aztecs with two hits.

SDSU (6-7) has now faced six Top 10 opponents and 2010 Women’s College World Series teams in its last nine games. The Aztecs are still receiving votes in the ESPN.com / USA Softball Poll.

SDSU will play host to the prestigious Campbell / Cartier Classic this weekend beginning with a doubleheader on Thursday evening, featuring Long Beach State and No. 23 Houston.

The first two innings of the game were reflective of the rest, as the Aztecs managed just one hit. The Wildcats had four. SDSU’s pitching duo, junior Bailey Micetich and senior Samantha Beasley, surrendered a combined effort of five runs, eight hits and three walks throughout the duration of the game as the Wildcats improved their season record to 12-2.Despite the loss, positive contributions were still made by the Aztecs. Sophomore Kamerin May was a consistent contributor as she reached base twice, once on a single and again after a walk.

Freshman Hayley Miles and junior Ashley Rose each had a hit. Redshirt senior Lindsey Marquez led the way for the Aztecs with two hits. SDSU (6-7) has now faced six Top 10 opponents and 2010 Women’s College World Series teams in its last nine games. The Aztecs are still receiving votes in the ESPN.com / USA Softball Poll.SDSU will play host to the prestigious Campbell / Cartier Classic this weekend beginning with a doubleheader on Thursday evening, featuring Long Beach State and No. 23 Houston.