A practical guide to Halloween

A practical guide to Halloween

It’s that time of year again, a time filled with the pumpkin carving, spooky decoration hanging, haunted house traipsing sort of fun that can only be the telltale signs of Halloween.

You’ve broken out your best costume, whether it’s your most provocative outfit topped with a set of animal ears, a getup that pays homage to the latest pop culture trend (Miley Cyrus, anyone?) or something you threw together at the last minute. Then comes the eventual dilemma: How should you spend the night? Long gone are your childhood days of begging strangers for candy, and the typical college party feels overdone. Out of ideas on how to celebrate?

Here are a few frightfully fun options that are sure to make Halloween a night to remember:

The Haunted Hotel: Located downtown, this venue features zombie clowns, Jason from the horror film “Friday the 13th” and riding on something called the “Hellevator.” Ticket prices range from $15 to $27.

The Scream Zone at the Del Mar Scaregrounds: Wage a paintball war against zombies, brave your way through the House of Horror, or ride along The Haunted Hayride for a wicked good time. Tickets range from $17 to $30, plus $20 to $25 for The Zombie Paintball Safari.

For the 21 and older crowd who are looking to knock back a few drinks with other costume-clad coeds:

McFright Night at McGregor’s Grill & Ale House: Drink specials and happy hour start at 4 p.m. with a live band and DJ starting at 7 p.m. to help bust out your best “Thriller” dance. There will be a costume contest, a spooky photo booth and a raffle.

Halloween Meet Up Scary-Aoke at Pal Joey’s Cocktail Lounge: Belt out a few classic hits while indulging in the drink specials starting at 7 p.m. Try your luck at the costume contest that will have winners knee-deep in prizes.

Feel like chowing down on popcorn and letting out a few girlish screams? Check out some local films playing at a theater near you:

“Carrie”: Starring Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore, this remake of the 1976 classic about a vengeful teenage girl with supernatural powers will have you at the edge of your seat.

Insidious: Chapter 2“: Featuring Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne, this sequel to the original film explores the demonic spirits that ravage a family household. You might be tempted to check under your bed at home after the credits roll.

Wanting something more family-friendly? Hang out at one of these community celebrations:

Old Town Trick-or-Treat: Head down to Old Town to munch on goodies from participating merchants, holiday treats and activities for the kiddos with extended shopping hours.

Flood Church’s Fourth Annual Halloween Carnival: Set in the Kearny High School parking lot, this event will have carnival games, “trunk or treating,” costume contests, food trucks and more. The celebration will be from 6-8:30 p.m.

Don’t feel like going out and want to spend the night in? Host a movie marathon! Gather up your roommates, plop yourself in front of the TV, and get your Nexflix on with these scary picks:

“A Nightmare on Elm Street” (1984): A frightening night stalker with a clawed glove that murders people in their dreams might make you fear going to bed, but an appearance by a young and dapper Johnny Depp makes it all worthwhile.

“The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” (2003): The story of the iconic chainsaw-wielding Leatherface character in this Michael Bay production is inspired by the real life of Wisconsin serial killer Ed Gein. Good luck going to sleep after watching this one.

“The Hills Have Eyes” (2006): A family traveling cross-country to San Diego becomes the target of mutants living in the desert. Camping trip, anyone?

“The Amityville Horror” (2005): A house that was the scene of a mass murder becomes a terror zone for a family in New York.  A remake of the original film based on the true account of the 1974 killings. It also stars Ryan Reynolds—instant eye candy for the ladies.

Whatever festivities you decide to take part in, make sure to include the one staple that is a must for every Halloween: sweets. Head to your nearest supermarket and select your favorites from the picked-over goodies. Go ahead and indulge on some chocolate, gummy worms, candy corn, jelly beans or your treat of choice. You might even summon your inner baker and whip up a batch of caramel apples or themed cupcakes. No matter what satisfies your taste buds, be sure to ring in the night with a little love to your sweet tooth as a reminder of why you loved Halloween so much as a kid in the first place. So slap on those fat pants and live a little—the gym awaits in the morning.

Photo courtesy of Scream Zone.

A practical guide to Halloween