Stress shouldn’t sabotage student success

Stress shouldnt sabotage student success
Federico Caputo

With the spring semester finally upon us, there are a couple things we can definitely expect in these 14 weeks: regrettable nights spent wandering the beaches of Cabo San Lucas and an overwhelming amount of stress and pressure. However, the latter is to be expected of every semester. Still, even with its regularity, should stress in college be something accepted and passed off as “routine?” I’d argue otherwise, and I’m sure most of the students at the University of Pennsylvania would agree with me.

On Jan. 17, the sudden suicide of UPenn student Madison Holleran took the campus and its surrounding community by surprise. Up until that point, Holleran had been dealing with the hassle of trying to balance both athletics and academics. Like many students, she was hardworking and diligent. However, there’s a fine line between ambition and overexertion, and Holleran struggled to make that distinction. She’d constantly set high expectations for herself and was adamant about meeting those expectations, even at the expense of her mental well-being. This trend continued into her college career, where she struggled to balance three majors while trying to maintain a pristine GPA. This amassed weight proved to be too much for her to handle, and as a result, her life was brought to an abrupt and unfortunate end.

Sadly, this case isn’t an isolated incident. Situations such as these are beginning to occur more frequently because of growing student loan debt and a shrinking job market. Furthermore, cases such as these aren’t exclusive to the United States or even the Western world, for that matter.

In South Korea, securing a college education is a priority for many of its citizens. Unfortunately, in their pursuit of higher learning, many native students must also learn how to put their happiness aside. A 2011 study done by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development found that Korea has the lowest percentage of happy students. Also according to OECD, Korea has the highest suicide rate out of any country researched by the organization. These two statistics could likely be a consequence of South Korea’s strict emphasis on schooling.

Beginning in middle school, students in South Korea are primed and prepared for a top-notch college education. Additionally, most of these students must get ready for arguably the most rigorous entrance exam in the country, the College Scholastic Aptitude Test. Their scores on this exam determine their acceptances to prestigious universities and ultimately, their futures.

Those who choose to forego the exam can enroll in one of the country’s other top universities, namely the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology informally known as Kaist. Since only a limited amount of students are admitted each year, there are certain expectations associated with being a student at Kaist. That overbearing pressure to succeed and deliver is what causes these students and so many others in South Korea to feel unworthy, especially after being brought up in such a competitive environment. These factors are what lead many students to fall into a deep state of depression and even take their own lives.

What can we learn and take away from Madison Holleran and the students in South Korea? For starters, we have learned that no college student is safe. Even the most talented and intelligent among us are bound to feel stress and pressure at one point or another, and that’s to be expected. Stress is an inevitable reality for most students, and it isn’t something that goes away after high school. Stress and depression are real and serious issues, and we can no longer afford to ignore their effects.

[quote]According to research done by the American College Health Association, the suicide rate among those aged 15 to 24 has tripled within the past 60 years.[/quote]

With the reduction of job prospects and the perpetual rise of student loan debt, that rate is likely to skyrocket even more unless something is done. Thankfully, students have the potential to fix this problem, but solving this issue is easier said than done, and it cannot be taken on alone.

In order to combat these issues and keep our mental well-being intact, we can start by looking for solutions directly on campus. San Diego State’s Counseling & Psychological Services is a valuable resource and always readily accessible. College is an intimidating time and place for some students, but always remember there’s an ample amount of support systems on campus—all you have to do is seek them out.

Ultimately, the key to alleviating all this pressure and stress is to stay positive. Relax and take life one day at a time. Once in a while, we need to take a step back, breathe and live it up a little. Don’t let a letter grade and a piece of paper dictate the way you live your life. Academics are definitely an important aspect of college, but recreation also needs to be encouraged. While college is a time to grow and excel, it’s also a time to enjoy yourself while you still can. Reflect by the pond, throw a football around with some buddies on the field or kick back at the newly reopened Aztec Student Union. After a hard day’s work, it’s always a good idea to sit back and clear your mind of any negativity. Most importantly, do what makes you happy. If accounting isn’t your thing, study something you’re more interested in. Don’t pursue something just because of the money or because it would be in your parents’ best interest. Studying a subject you have no sincere interest in and potentially making it a career will not only stress you out, it’ll make you absolutely miserable. College is a time of self-discovery and finding out what suits you best. Enjoy what you’re doing and your college life will be much less taxing in the long run.

Courtesy of PISA OECD
Courtesy of PISA OECD