Student missing abroad

Austin Bice (left), who has been studying abroad in Spain, was discovered missing. He was last seen Feb. 25 while out with friends, Courtesy of Facebook

UPDATE: Spanish police found body of missing SDSU student Austin Bice

A San Diego State student has gone missing while studying abroad in Spain. Austin Bice, a senior studying international business at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, was last seen early Feb. 27 after he couldn’t get into a nightclub. He told friends he was going to walk home and no one has heard from him since.

A fellow study abroad student reported him missing the next day, and since then Bice’s father has flown to Madrid to help authorities with the search. The Spanish police have issued a European-wide search for him and flyers with Bice’s picture and information have been posted throughout Madrid.

SDSU spokesperson Gina Jacobs said that nothing like this has happened in recent history and is an isolated incident.

Jacobs said that there were seven additional SDSU international business students with Bice in Spain. One of those students alerted the authorities of Bice’s disappearance.

“SDSU is providing support where we can,” Jacobs said. “We are very concerned and are staying in constant contact with the family.”

Bice is a graduate of Torrey Pines High School and is well liked throughout the community. A good friend of his, Jenna Scaduto, is devastated about his disappearance. Scaduto met Bice three years ago in the residence halls. She said he isn’t known to be a risk taker, but that he is very confident and collected.

A few weeks ago, she talked to Bice through Facebook chat, but became curious when she noticed less activity on his page.

“I didn’t see much from him in the past week or two on Facebook at all,” she said. “Usually he’s one of those names that pops up on the news feed pretty often.”

Scaduto said she is also shocked because Bice is known for his physical fitness. The former Aztec football player is 6 foot 5 inches tall and participates in triathlons.

However, before even thinking about his size, Scaduto was shocked to hear this is happening in Madrid.

“My first reaction to this was thinking, ‘What? In Spain?’ I couldn’t believe it,” she said.

Scaduto is not the only person surprised. Brittany Johnson, an ISCOR senior, lived in Madrid last year and is stunned that this happened.

“I felt 100 percent safe the whole time I was in Madrid,” she said. “I never felt threatened by the people.”

Spain is a popular destination for study abroad students from the U.S., mainly because it is well known for being easy to navigate, walkable and secure. Just last semester, more than 280 SDSU students studied abroad in Europe. Johnson said she was surprised there were no witnesses in Bice’s disappearance, as weekend nights are usually crowded. Johnson also said she felt safer in Madrid than in California.

“I walked home by myself multiple times,” Johnson said. “People are always out and on the streets at nighttime, so this is strange and very sad.”

Many other SDSU students are sad about Bice’s disappearance too. They have shown their concern via Facebook and started an event titled “Prayers for Austin Bice” encouraging people to keep him in their thoughts. The group has more than 4,000 students. Students have also posted that they are hoping for Bice’s safe return, one stating, “We will hope and pray for the best.”

Students will be holding a candlelight vigil for Bice at 6 p.m. on Monday on the Free Speech Steps.

Student missing abroad