Voter’s guide to the A.S. election

Photos by Monica Linzmeier, photo editor

This Monday marks the beginning of the annual Associated Students elections. Results will be announced March 20, at 8 p.m., tin the Montezuma Lounge and Theater in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.

How do students vote?

San Diego State students will have the opportunity to vote through their WebPortal accounts March 17 at 8 a.m. through March 20 at 7 p.m., according to the A.S. website.

Students can visit the “A.S. General Election” tab to select their candidates of choice.

“It is important to vote for the A.S. candidates because they have a lot of say of what takes place on campus and activities,” political science professor Ronnee Schreiber said.

What are some issues affecting the election?

• Student Success Fee
  • Restructuring of A.S.
  • Sustainability
  • Skateboarding and the bike lane
  • Transparency and accessibility of A.S.

Who can students vote for?

Students are able to vote for one candidate for A.S. president, one candidate for executive vice president, one candidate for vice president of external relations, one candidate for vice president of financial affairs, and one candidate of university affairs. Aztecs can also vote for a representative for their college, a representative for each of the seven Campus Life Council Commissions, and a student-at-large representative.

How many candidates are running?

A total of 54 students are running for 36 elected positions. Six students are running for the five executive officer positions available.

Who is running for an executive officer position?

A.S. President

1. Finance junior Jonathan Cole said he wants to be accessible to students, as well as reengaging groups on campus who feel they have lost their identity. He said he has developed ideas from the past three A.S. presidents. Cole is for the proposed fee increase and pro-skateboarding on campus.

2. Business administration junior Gabriel Torres said he wants to change the way A.S. is operated and develop programs to help students graduate on time. He wants to increase communication to students and within A.S. As for the proposed fee, Torres said he is skeptical of the forums process. He supports skateboards on campus.

A.S. Executive Vice President: Unopposed

1. Hospitality and tourism management and Spanish junior Kevin Hancock said he will provide students with opportunities to be involved on campus and promote SDSU pride.

A.S. Vice President of External Relations: Unopposed

1. Marketing junior Jacqueline Karczewski said she will be a representative for students and portray SDSU in a positive light. She also wants to make students aware of ongoing California State University legislation, campus events and opportunities for involvement.

A.S. Vice President of Financial Affairs: Unopposed

1. Finance senior Alex Padua said he wants all students to be positively impacted by the A.S. budget. He said it’s important that campus facilities and programs receive the necessary funding.

A.S Vice President of University Affairs: Unopposed

1. Sociology junior Corey Polant said he will try to make all students comfortable and engaged within their college councils. He will also work to make commuter students feel connected to campus.

What are the roles of the A.S. Executive Officers?

Adapted from the A.S. bylaws:

1. President: The Chief Executive Officer.

• A designated member of all A.S. boards, commissions, councils, organizations and committees with regular attendance.
  • Represents and acts on behalf of the A.S. organization and makes decisions about daily operation.
  • Chair of the A.S. Board of Directors and is responsible for implementing any policies on the ASBOD not mentioned in the bylaws.
  • A representative at the San Diego Collegiate Council and the College Area Community Council.
  • A voting member of the University Senate.
  • Responsible for nominating students to fill vacant seats on the Campus Fee Advisory Committee and the Aztec Shops Board of Directors.

2. Executive Vice President: The Chief Operating Officer

• Assumes all roles of the president in his/her absence and in vacancy of the president’s spot; the executive V.P. would succeed to president for the remainder of his/her term.
  • A designated member of all boards, commissions, councils, organizations and committees with regular attendance.
  • Leads and schedules all A.S. Campus Life Council meetings and informs the ASBOD of the happenings of those meetings.
  • Responsible for the efficient running of all A.S. boards and committees and oversees all board and committee appointments.
  • Responsible for coordinating the orientation of all new executive officers and ASBOD members.
  • Oversees usage of student Instructionally Related Activity fees for programs and events by the Athletic Department.
  • Chair of the Homecoming Steering Committee.
  • Acts as a student liaison between the Division of Student Affairs and A.S.

3. Vice President of External Relations: Chief Communications Officer.

• Assume all roles of the president in his or her absence and in vacancy of the president’s and executive V.P.’s spot; the V.P. of External Relations would become president for the remainder of his/her term.
  • Leads and schedules all A.S. External Relations Board meetings and informs the ASBOD of the happenings of those meetings.
  • Informs the ASBOD of any activities in the CSU system, California Legislature, statewide agencies and government that affects A.S. members.
  • Coordinates all research and evaluation of student advocacy issues approved by A.S.

4. Vice President of Financial Affairs: Chief Financial Officer.

• Third in line to the office of the president.
  • Leads and schedules all A.S. Financial Affairs Committee meetings and informs the ASBOD of the happenings of those meetings.
  • Oversees the preparation of the annual A.S. budget and presents it to the ASBOD.
  • Serves as the student financial administrator and can require full reports from anything funded by A.S.
  • Recommends financial policy and guidelines for the association.
  • Responsible for reviewing and approving disbursement of A.S. funds.

5. Vice President of University Affairs: Chief Academic Officer

• Fourth in line to the office of the president.
  • Serves as a designated member of all A.S. boards, commissions, councils, organizations and committees with regular attendance.
  • Coordinates student representation on the University Senate, Senate Committees, Senate ad hoc committees, and other academic policy-making bodies.
  • Serves as the organization’s representative to the Senate Executive Committee, as well as one of the organization’s voting members of the University Senate.
  • Coordinates the appointment of student representatives to all university search committees.
  • Leads and schedules all A.S. University Council meetings and informs the ASBOD of the happenings of those meetings.

A representative for each college

Based on the college a student is enrolled in, they are able to vote for a candidate to serve as a representative for each of the seven colleges. There is one elected representative seat for every 1,500 students in a particular college.

AS Campus Life Council Members

Students are able to vote for one candidate for each of the following A.S. Campus Life Council positions. All of the positions below have one elected seat except Student at Large Campus Representative, which has two elected seats.

• Aztec Student Union Programs Board Representative is in charge of planning and organizing the social and cultural unifying events for the student body during the year. In addition, the board also promotes wellness on campus and a raise on campus morale, cultural awareness and Aztec pride.
  • Community Service Commission Representative plans study volunteer community service for SDSU students and faculty. They are in charge of planning, execution, and marketing for community service events on behalf of A.S.
  • Recreation and Wellness Commission Representative reviews set policies and creates and supervises all recreation services involving the Aztec Recreation Center, Aztec Adventures, Aztec Aquaplex, and Mission Bay Aquatic Center.
  • Sustainability Commission Representative leads A.S. initiatives, programs, and duties that are made to promote sustainability.
  • Student Diversity Commission Representative promotes a cultural understanding through education, communication, and action, and ensures that the action approached by A.S. shows diversity at SDSU.
  • Student Support Commission Representative spreads awareness of support services that are given by the University departments and work together with these areas.
  • Campus Community Commission Representative is the community relations group for A.S. They are in charge of dealing with community relations, neighborhood associations and local law enforcements representatives.
  • Student at Large Campus Representatives are two additional elected members of  the CLC.

Staff writer Katrina Roseli also contributed to this report. 

California

Voter’s guide to the A.S. election