ALL THE WORLD’S A STAGE: SDSU pays homage to traditional lyricists

David Dixon, Staff Writer

“A Grand Night for Singing” is a musical revue featuring more than 30 songs from legendary composer Richard Rodgers and brilliant lyricist Oscar Hammerstein II. The show includes numbers from well-known Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals, such as “The Sound of Music,” “The King and I” and “South Pacific.” The production is comprised of short vignettes that take place during a summer in the Hamptons.

Accompanied by impressive musical director Korrie Paliotto on piano, the cast includes seven extremely talented singers who are candidates for the Master of Fine Arts degree in musical theater. Each individual has solo numbers that express a variety of emotions. Rafi Cendeño displays a lot of charm when he sings, “Oh, What a Beautiful Morning,” the feel good opening song to “Oklahoma.”

The cast concludes Act One with a hopeful interpretation of the “South Pacific” ballad, “Some Enchanted Evening.” The popular show tune “Kansas City” gets a jazzy twist on the Experimental Theatre stage and the night ends with a tender and heartfelt version of the song, “I Have Dreamed.”

Because there is no real plot to speak of, very few props are used. However, prop supervisor Jennifer M. Imbler has created a low-key atmosphere with the placement of two lone benches on the stage.

“A Grand Night for Singing” is an intimate show that celebrates the legacy of one of the most influential musical teams. It is recommended for anyone interested in classical Broadway music as well as those who want to experience a great theater performance at San Diego State.

“A Grand Night for Singing” is playing at SDSU’s Experimental Theatre until Oct. 30, and tickets and information can be found at theatre.sdsu.edu.