Why I’m an Aztec for life

Every song ends, but that’s no reason to not enjoy the music.

OK, that might just be a “One Tree Hill” reference, but you get the idea. Even though you know there’s an inevitable end, you still have to take the time to enjoy every bit of an experience while it lasts.

I’ve been in this kind of state of mind for the last few months in anticipation of my upcoming graduation and departure from San Diego State. It seems as though every time I stroll down Campanile Walkway, have a coffee break in West Commons or pass through the arches of Hepner Hall, I get a little weepy thinking about how I don’t have much longer as a student at SDSU. Even so, I’ve been trying to delight in these moments that I know won’t feel the same once I’ve graduated.

Coming in as a transfer three years ago, I had no idea what I was in for when I sat at orientation listening to information about classes, majors and what it was really like to be at a university. If there is one thing I remember from that day, one of the speakers — it might have been The Hirsch himself — said that while you’re at SDSU, your experience is what you make of it. Since then I’ve tried to take that advice to heart, and I’ve tried to get involved with as many areas on campus as possible.

You can say I’ve been on quite the rollercoaster ride. Between a short-lived sorority life, the speech and debate team, Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, working at The Daily Aztec and serving as a Features writer for the past two years, my college experience has been enriched by all the things I’ve been able to do and by the people I’ve met. Had I simply just gone to class and not branched out, I wouldn’t have made so many amazing memories and connections with people I am confident will be lifelong friends once I leave SDSU.

I’ve learned a lot in my time here, and I want to share some wisdom to freshmen just starting out, or other students that still have the opportunity to make the most out of their years at SDSU.

Above everything else, get involved somehow. Join a club, play a sport or even work on campus. Find out what’s happening around you and figure out a way to be a part of it.

Second, take advantage of the resources SDSU has. Spend time in the library, relax by the pool at the Aquaplex, work up a sweat at the gym, get your medical needs checked out at the Capulli Center or visit the advising office to plan your academic goals. Most of all, utilize your professors. They are your greatest resource and they really do want to see you succeed. Plus, classes will be much easier with your professor on your side.

Lastly, make all the memories you can as an Aztec. Go to the sporting events donning red and black attire and show some school spirit, even if you have only the faintest idea what a touchdown, a two-pointer or a home run is. Even if you don’t particularly like sports, go. I only started going to our football and basketball games this past year and a half here, and I wish I had gone to more. You simply haven’t lived until you’ve been part of the crazy “The Show” crowd celebrating and shouting “I believe that we will win” at the top of your lungs.

I have a lot to be thankful for from my time at SDSU. Most importantly, I have grown tremendously as a person. I have learned lifelong lessons and surrounded myself with amazing people, and I now feel ready to leave this place, headed for great things. It sounds cliche, but the best years of my life thus far have truly been my college years, and I feel a mix of overwhelming sadness, relief and excitement to cross the stage next week as a graduate. I can honestly say I love my school, and will be forever proud to say this has been my home.

Stay classy, Aztecs.

Why I’m an Aztec for life