Minimize stress to max out potential

Calendar of the year
Getty Images/iStockphoto

Congratulations, you made it through the first week of classes. Now that syllabus week is over, it’s safe to say your schedule is about to be filled with study dates and hours at the library. Here are five helpful ways to avoid and manage stress in the semester ahead.

1. Recharge: “Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.” This age old saying holds some truth in 2014. While it may sound impossible, the Mayo Clinic suggests adults should get a minimum of seven hours of sleep each night. Head to bed earlier tonight and start your day well-rested tomorrow.
  2. Prepare: A good weekly planner is your best friend in college. It’s the perfect place to jot down the three quizzes, two group projects and countless lunch dates that each week holds. Say “so long” to the feeling of forgetting and buy your planner now.
  3. Don’t sweat it: Make time to blow off some steam. A healthy way to relieve stress is working out. Visit the Aztec Recreation Center for an individual work out or attend one of the many classes they offer.
  4. Be realistic about getting involved: Joining clubs and organizations is the fastest and easiest way to make friends and memories. Just remember to take your classes and other commitments into consideration before saying “yes” to another responsibility. Spreading yourself too thin always ends badly.
  5. Communicate: Communication is key in every aspect of our lives. In the classroom, talk to your professors and teachers’ assistants if you are confused (you’re not alone). Tell your roommate if they have a habit that bothers you. Be polite, but speak up before something little leads to a huge argument. And most importantly, call your parents. Hearing your voice and knowing you’re okay means the world to Mom and Dad.
Chelsea Baer, Staff Writer
Chelsea Baer is a journalism junior with a minor in Spanish. She started as a features staff writer in 2013 and is currently a contributor for The Daily Aztec.
Minimize stress to max out potential