Aztec football: special teams grade

SDSU Football Kicker
Jenna Mackey, Photo Editor

Yes, San Diego State fans, field goals are back for the Aztecs. Kicking was something the team missed out on late last season as the position became a disaster for the team, scaring away the coaching staff from even attempting field goals late in the season. Last season’s big issue was kicking from outside 30 yards, which hasn’t been an issue so far. The new starter, junior Donny Hageman, has drilled kicks from 40 yards, 48 yards and 49 yards—already equaling the amount of 40-plus yard field goals from last year and beating out last season’s longest of 45 yards. However, through two games last year, the team was four of four on field goals, so we won’t get ahead of ourselves just yet. Hageman has been as reliable as one would want out of the kicking position minus his one miss and has done enough to prove he is the man for the job.

Senior Joel Alesi has done a good job as punter for the Aztecs through two games with an average of 39.7 yards per punt, a long of 50 yards and successfully pinning the opposing team within the twenty yard line twice.

Sophomore wide receiver Lloyd Mills has been the man returning punts and took one all the way for a 67-yard touchdown in the season opener versus Northern Arizona University and should be a threat all season with his crafty moves and speed.

The kick return game hasn’t been anywhere near special, though, for the Aztecs. Through two games, they have used two different players, junior receiver Larry Clark and freshman running back Rashaad Penny, to return kicks. The team has averaged just 7.7 yards per return, much lower than the 23-yard average they are allowing on kickoffs. It’s still early, though, and someone could emerge for the position.

The team has the option of using Hageman’s foot for three points, which will open things up for the Aztecs’ offense. Through two games, special teams have shown a lot of positives, which gives us all hope. The Aztecs get a B+ with room for improvement.

Grade: B+

Aztec football: special teams grade