Women’s tennis plays host to a successful weekend

Chadd Cady, Staff Photographer

The women’s tennis team welcomed five other teams last weekend to the Fall Classic I Tournament in their first action of the year. They played in various singles and doubles matches throughout the weekend and finished the weekend off strong with three bracket wins and an 11-4 record in Sunday’s play.

The three newcomers Jana Buth, Felicia Ahlborg and Paola Diaz de Regules played their first matches as Aztecs and this weekend and combined for a 4-5 record in single play and 3-6 in doubles play.

Sophomores Olivia Larsson and Kennedy Davis fared much better, finishing with a 5-1 combined singles record and two bracket wins. The first win came by way of Davis’ victory against her University of San Diego opponent in a three-set battle and the second in a doubles match with the two paired against Grand Canyon University in an easy 8-0 victory. Larsson lost her final match in the bracket final against her Loyola Marymount University opponent in three sets.

The junior trio of Isabelle Hoorn, Tami Nguyen and Dora Somoracz finished the weekend with a singles record of 5-4 and the team of Hoorn and Somoracz finished Sunday of with a 2-1 doubles record after their win against New Mexico State University. Nguyen, whom teamed up with Ahlborg lost on Sunday, ending with a 1-2 record.

The seniors of the team, Hailey Johnson and Kristin Buth, finished Sunday with two wins, one because of Johnson’s opponents withdrawal and the other in an easy two set victory by Buth. The doubles team of Kristin Buth and Paola Diaz ended Sunday with a loss, finishing with a 1-2 record and the team of Johnson and Kristin Buth’s younger sister Jana, won on Sunday, making them 2-1 on the weekend.

Johnson, who had a successful weekend, had positive things to say about the start of the season.

“It’s good to be competing again and this is a good start for our team for the season with this first tournament,” Johnson said.

Many positives can be taken away from this weekend but there is a lot of work ahead for the team in the upcoming months as they get into gear for the regular season.

The Aztec women next compete in the ITA Southwest Regional Tournament on Oct. 16 and 20 at the Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego. Following that will be the SDSU Fall Classic II on the first weekend of November which will be the last competition before the season officially begins in late January.