ELECTION: Redistricting by legislature

By Paige Nordeen, Staff Columnist

Today, voters will determine who shall wield the knife when it comes to cutting the political pie in California. The process known as “redistricting” is currently in the hands of the independent Citizens Redistricting Committee.

The committee is comprised of 14 voters, fairly divided between Democrats and Republicans and four voters registered as “other.” After the U.S. Census is completed each decade, California’s Constitution requires boundaries to be redrawn according to population patterns. Ideally, this process is meant to ensure proper public representation in both state and federal Congress.

In the past, redistricting has been tainted by ambitious politicians aiming to secure their positions of power. Thus, in 2008 Proposition 11 gave the Citizens Redistricting Committee the ability to map out state office districts and eliminated the legislature’s role in the procedure.

Proponents of Proposition 27 seek to return the power of redistricting back to the legislature and remove the Citizens Redistricting Committee.

Supporters claim the proposition will save  the state millions of dollars and hold elected officials accountable to the public once the final boundary lines are drawn. A primary feature of Proposition 27 allows the boundary lines to be voted on by way of referendum for final approval. Proposition 27 ensures equal population within each district, “with a difference in population of no greater than one person,” according to the California General Election Guide.

Opponents of Proposition 27 claim voting “yes” would allow politicians to draw districts in favor of their political stances, ultimately securing their seats in office. The opposition fears a scenario in which, hypothetically, a legislature with a Liberal agenda would find it politically expedient to format a district with a Democrat majority. The opposition is concerned that passage of Proposition 27 essentially hands politicians the very tool to guarantee their perpetual reelection.

The crux of Proposition 27 determines who should carve out the boundary lines of districts that will ultimately dictate which candidate is elected to public office in California and who will ultimately represent the state in Washington D.C.

ELECTION: Redistricting by legislature