MATT-ER OF FACT: Forget Colorado State, bring on the Frogs

Copyright David J. Olender / Photo Editor

By Matt McClanahan, Staff Columnist

Suck it, haters. San Diego State is bowl-bound for the first time since blah, blah, blah. I’m tired of bringing up the past.

Did you see Ernie Lawson drag Wyoming’s backfield through the mud? Lawson was a breakout beast on defense Saturday. By game’s end, the Cowboys’ offensive line was worn out, arms akimbo. Meanwhile, Lawson could have performed jumping jacks, done the worm and watched an entire episode of “Jersey Shore,” which is far more tiring than anything you could ever do in your life.  Save maybe listening to Sarah Palin talk.

SDSU is 6-2. If it takes care of business against Colorado State at home this weekend, it’ll be 7-2, and tied for second place in the Mountain West Conference. Currently, Montezuma’s men are barely outside the top 25, receiving more votes in the USA Today Coaches’ Poll than perennial powers USC and Florida.

They say take it slow, one game at a time.

But screw it.

Colorado State is next, but I’m eyeing that away game at No. 3 TCU. The Aztecs could win.

OK … You probably think I’m crazy. Right?

Yes, I’m crazy. Bring it on Horned Frogs. You too, No. 5 Utah – bunch of overrated chumps. The last time the Utes played anyone formidable, I was dominating on a day-to-day basis … oh wait … I still do that.

So does Lawson.

Lawson is raw. Even the commentators mentioned last week how mean he looks. They’re right too. He’s a mean-looking dude. And his arms are bigger than Kanye West’s ego.

The 40th ranked team in total defense (compared to 74th last year) also sports Miles Burris, who I call “Ice Man.” If you want to find him, he’ll be in the backfield creating blizzards. Ice Man is one of the league’s leaders in sacks, thanks in part to Leon McFadden locking things down on the corner. Thanks Leon.

SDSU fans: You should demand an apology. This past weekend, Wyoming insulted Ryan Lindley. They put extra guys in the box to key in on an injured Ronnie Hillman (which is dumb), and manned up on DeMarco Sampson and Vincent Brown (which is even dumber). You have to be out of your mind. Lindley will throw an errant pass now and then, but he’ll pick man coverage apart all day. And there is no defense in the nation that can go man against Sampson and Brown. They will both finish the season as 1,000-yard receivers. Put Wyoming’s coach in the hot seat for that game plan.

No one believes the Aztecs have a shot against TCU in two weeks. Fans on message boards are hoping for a “decent showing” against the Horned Frogs. Does anyone dare to dream an SDSU victory?

Someone pinch San Diego, the Aztecs have turned it all around. And they have yet to play a game to their potential.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported there are 10 former SDSU players currently in the NFL from the Aztecs’ bad 2007 team. SDSU has had the talent all along, just not the right coaches.

The road to the MWC title goes through TCU and Utah, and it used to run through Provo, Utah. But BYU has shown to be a pretender this year. The road has taken a U-turn away from Provo, and now wraps around Qualcomm Stadium. Sorry Cougars, see you during the basketball season.

Which reminds me of another knee-slapping joke: What’s more dishonest than two BYU alums in a replay booth?

Nothing … cheaters.

First, it’s Colorado State. Then, the Aztecs take a swing at the MWC Championship. Dream while you still can.

—Matt McClanahan is a journalism senior.

—This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.