The Drew Review: Foo Fighters

From the opening volleys of “Bridges Burning” it is apparent that the Foo Fighters are back and more badass than ever. Their newest release, “Wasting Light,” is a straightforward assault on everything that has grown stale and boring in the world of mainstream rock ‘n’ roll. The Foo Fighters seem to be very aware of the responsibility and impact they have on this realm and do not shy away from making their record sharp. Producer Butch Vig polishes their multi-layered sound and employs all available studio tricks to bring out every signature Dave Grohl growl.

Although the Foo Fighters wield their major label muscle freely, they are doing everything but playing it safe. “White Limo” is a perfect example and is one of their hardest, most bruising, straightforward rock ‘n’ roll numbers to date. The song brings to mind early Queens of the Stone Age — a logical reminder considering Grohl’s time working with Josh Homme while playing in Them Crooked Vultures. Oh, and he also played in Queens of the Stone Age.

But the entire album seems to be merely foreplay to the actual aural lovemaking of seeing and hearing the Foo Fighters play live. The raw energy the band exudes on “Wasting Light” is only a slight glimmer of the blazing fireball that is the closest thing to an explanation of their live performance. With “Wasting Light” providing the ammunition to bolster their already over-burdened set list, the Foo Fighters promise to be one of the most exciting live acts of the new decade.

Time away from the Foo Fighters seem to have made them focus on the heavy, meaty jams and chords which is a departure from some of their more arena-ready music (“But, Honestly” from “Echoes Silence and Grace” comes to mind). But this is definitely where the Foo Fighters strength truly lies. It brings to mind their powerful and darker earlier songs like “Stacked Actors” that rely more on Grohl’s snarl and heavy guitar riffs over slow building dynamics that seemed to rule their previous release. Although some may be put off by the lack of an immediately catchy single like “The Pretender,” “Wasting Light” comes off as much more personal and honest. The album builds to a crescendo of “Walk,” driving home the point that this band is definitely something special.

::::::

The Drew Review: Foo Fighters