Pop wheels, collars and tags at the OB Skate Park

Courtesy OB of Skate Park

Opened in February of 2000, the Robb Field Skate Park is the first skateboarding park constructed and operated by the City of San Diego. The park boasts 40,000 square feet of concrete and features a combination bowl, numerous handrails, ledges, blocks, a pump bump and an octagon volcano. In front of the main, turquoise gates also lies a mini-park for small children and beginners not ready for the large park.

Regardless of age or skill level, the park is modeled for every skater’s needs. On any given day, the park is bustling with skaters, bikers and roller bladers from every age group. The crowd is an eclectic blend of children passing a few fun hours with their friends, teenagers wanting to improve their skills and accomplished skateboarders outshining the crowd with their effortless tricks.

“I love coming to this skate park,” freshman and San Diego native Brady Oslar said. “There really is something to offer for every skater here, and there’s a great vibe. I’ve been coming here since it opened when I was 8, and it is still just as fun today.”

While many locals fear the skate park’s decline given the budget cuts that caused the city to eliminate supervision and an admittance fee, gleeful skaters who no longer have to pay $5 or be under the watchful eye of a supervisor seem not to mind. The rules are no longer enforced as a meager amount of skaters adhere to the rules of wearing full safety equipment and numerous children can be seen merrily scootering into the gates despite the ban against them.

The mellow mood, open atmosphere and ample space make the Robb Field Skate Park a fun, free activity close to SDSU. Skateboarders looking for a more relaxed and lenient skating experience not often found at other parks owe themselves a visit.

The Robb Field Skate Park
Hours: 10 a.m. to dusk everyday, including holidays
Location: Ocean Beach Athletic Area, near Sunset Cliffs