Doctorate student spreads positivity through new hip-hop album

Courtney Case

San Diego State doctoral student Charles Iyoho has a positive outlook on life. Besides pursuing a degree in education, Iyoho is also a hip-hop musician. Having just released an extended play called “The Love Always Shines,” the rapper believes in the power of positivity, peace and how he is using his music to spread a message of love.

Born in Oklahoma to Nigerian immigrant parents, Iyoho has been writing music since the age of 13. As a child, he moved around a lot and mentions having lived in Missouri, France and Oman. He recalls the surreal experience of performing in the Middle East, after his friend pulled him onstage during a New Year’s party.

Based in California since 2010, he now has his sights set on conquering audiences in the West. He says he hopes “The Love Always Shines” will help him do just that.

The album was recorded at Signature Sound Studios in Kearny Mesa and features glitzy production from renowned music producer Hudson Mohawke on the last track, “Star in a Distance.”  During its chorus, Iyoho sings: “Every single second man I’m living sky high. Living my life with no limits sky high.” This uplifting motif carries over to the other six tracks as well.

“Better Days 2” Iyoho refers to life as a “dirty game,” but one that can be conquered with positivity: “After every storm come the sun beams, and every single dream is within arm’s reach. The power of love can’t be overstated.”

Like the title to “Better Days 2” implies, hope is a theme throughout the album. Six of the album’s seven tracks reference clouds or the sky, which Iyoho explained as a metaphor for hope, a message he tries to spread through his music.

He draws on his upbringing for his personal outlook and on his musical heroes for inspiration. Some of the many artists who inspire him include Kanye West, The Beatles, Stevie Wonder and Nigerian artist Fela Kuti.

Iyoho’s lyrics tend to deal with serious issues of life and love, but he dismissed the notion that he is a “conscious rapper.”

“For me, I try to make music that transcends everything — transcends conscious music, transcends hip-hop,” Iyoho said. “I just want to make great music.”

Conscious rappers have a tendency to be heavy-handed when delivering their message, but Iyoho said it isn’t his job to preach. Instead, he strives to make uplifting music that can appeal to a wide audience by leaving the interpretation up to the listener.

He has gained a following by performing at venues in the Midwest and looks to do the same in Southern California. So far, Iyoho has limited his performances to San Diego house parties, but he is looking to expand to a tour of college campuses.

He also has plans to hold an album release party for “The Love Always Shines” next month.

For now, fans of his music can download the latest album for free from his website. Iyoho said he hopes people listen to it and embrace its message of hope. He said that if there is one thing he wants people to take away from the album, it’s embrace challenges and keep it positive.