Tony Gwynn Commemorative Issue: C.J. Saylor and Spencer Thornton

Katelyn Mulcahy

C.J. Saylor

Redshirt-Junior Catcher

There was one time where had a plastic bag full of sharpies and on all of them had his signature on it. I asked coach how’d you get that on there and he said laughing,  “boy, cause I’m big time like that.”

There is this Lil’  Wayne song that says “Ballin like Tony Gwynn” and I told him I wanted to use that as a walk-up song and and he said you better not.

I asked why and he said, “You ain’t half the player I am.” And then he just busted up laughing.

Tony was extremely humble but he had moments of cockiness on occasion that were just hilarious.

Spencer Thorton

Redshirt-Senior Outfielder

It was always a great experience when coach Gwynn and Alicia would open up their house to the team.

His living room almost seemed like it was straight out of Cooperstown filled with silver sluggers, gold gloves and other memorabilia from his career.

Once you get over the legendary baseball stuff coach Gwynn’s house has, you get something that is truly legendary: Alicia Gwynn’s cooking.

Without a doubt the best ribs, wings, and comfort food cooking I have ever eaten!

She makes enough to feed an entire army and we always do our best to eat it all and take as much home for the next three meals.

Aside from the food and baseball, what was truly great about going to coach Gwynn’s house was getting to talk to coach about life and things outside of baseball.

I learned so much about him as a human being in those moments outside of the baseball player.

Not many people get the chance to know a Hall of Fame athlete on a personal level.

A lot of the stories he would tell in those moments I have applied in my own life and are the impressions I am grateful that coach Gwynn placed on me.

Katelyn Mulcahy, Staff Photographer
Katelyn is a staff photographer on the Daily Aztec. She is a freshman majoring in journalism with an emphasis in media studies.